Retiring man-pages-ru because it is already part of the man-pages-l10n.
- Name: Lukas Javorsky
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Targeted release: Fedora Linux 39
- Last updated: 2023-05-24
- devel thread
- official announcement thread
- FESCo issue: #2995
- Tracker bug: #2163421
- Release notes tracker: #989
Upstream (man-pages-l10n) has integrated Russian translations for man-pages. It means we no longer need to have a specific (man-pages-ru) package for it. Upstream commit containing the change
The plan is simple:
1) Retire man-pages-ru package.
2) Enable 'ru' translations for man-pages-l10n (temporary disabled due to conflicts). Commit disabling it Also add Obsolete and Provides for man-pages-ru package.
Early feedback from the community is positive, the feedback is located in this (Devel list announce)
Benefit to Fedora
Fedora shouldn't maintain a redundant package. This change would make it easier for the maintainer as well as for the packages that requires man-pages-l10n and man-pages-ru.
- Proposal owners: Package man-pages-ru will be retired, and the man-pages-l10n will contain the Russian translations.
- Other developers: Change the names of their BuildRequires/Requires accordingly.
- Release engineering: No action required
- Policies and guidelines: N/A (not needed for this Change)
- Trademark approval: N/A (not needed for this Change)
- Alignment with Objectives:
When following the plan in Detailed Description there will be no need for manual action. Everything will be handled by the automated dnf upgrade.
How To Test
List of the packages from Fedora 39
dnf repoquery --whatrequires man-pages-ru | pkgname <empty>
dnf repoquery --whatrequires '/usr/share/man/ru/*' | pkgname <empty>
- Contingency mechanism: Remove the man-pages-l10n build with Russian translation enabled. Revert deprecation of the man-pages-ru package.
- Contingency deadline: Beta freeze
- Blocks release? No
NOTE: If we don't finish this change by the deadline, it is possible to just complete this change with the next release.