Phosh is a Wayland shell for mobile devices based on Gnome. The mobility SIG has packaged up Phosh and related packages into a 'phosh-desktop' package group and would like to start making x86_64 and aarch64 images for mobile devices.
- Name: Kevin Fenzi, Torrey Sorensen
- Email: <your email address so we can contact you, invite you to meetings, etc. Please provide your Bugzilla email address if it is different from your email in FAS>
- Targeted release: Fedora Linux 38
- Last updated: 2022-12-01
- devel thread
- FESCo issue: #2896
- Tracker bug: #2150052
- Release notes tracker: #931
There's a number of x86_64 and aarch64 tablets and other mobile devices that could use a more mobile centric interface/desktop than traditional Fedora desktops/labs/spins. Having Fedora images for these devices will make it easier to install and use them. Having a image will also help remix efforts, allowing them to reuse userspace packages and metadata (kickstarts, etc) with a modified kernel.
Note: Plasma Mobile is also being packaged and will be requested in another change
Note: Pinephone and Pinephone Pro are eventual targets for these images, but more kernel patches must be upstreamed before these devices will boot and function.
Benefit to Fedora
These images will spread Fedora to mobile devices and bring more users into the Fedora community as well as showcasing upstream work to provide a 100% open source phone interface for devices once they are workable from vanilla kernels.
- Proposal owners:
Create kickstarts and other configuration needed to produce aarch64 and x86_64 images. Fix bugs related to phosh-desktop group and associated packages.
- Other developers:
Help test images and groups
- Release engineering: #Releng issue number
Review kickstarts and pungi configutation, produce images.
- Policies and guidelines: N/A (not needed for this Change)
- Trademark approval: N/A (not needed for this Change)
- Alignment with Objectives:
How To Test
Install the produced image to a suitable x86_64 or aarch64 device with arm-image-installer or dd Boot the image and confirm it comes up to a phosh desktop Use various desktop functions and report issues.
- Contingency mechanism: (What to do? Who will do it?) N/A (not a System Wide Change)
- Contingency deadline: N/A (not a System Wide Change)
- Blocks release? N/A (not a System Wide Change), Yes/No
N/A (not a System Wide Change)
Initial images are produced for x86_64 and aarch64 mobile devices using the Phosh desktop.