Change Proposal Name
Disallow dependencies on files under /bin, /sbin, /lib and /lib64.
- Name: Ales Kozumplik
- Email: email@example.com
- Release notes owner:
- Targeted release: Fedora 20
- Last updated: (DATE)
- Tracker bug: <will be assigned by the Wrangler>
The current packaging guidelines read:
Whenever possible you should avoid file dependencies outside of /etc, /bin, /sbin, /usr/bin, or /usr/sbin.
I propose changing this to:
Whenever possible you should avoid file dependencies outside of /etc, /usr/bin, or /usr/sbin.
Benefit to Fedora
Making the UsrMove business a bit less unfinished. /bin dependencies etc. don't currently work for dependency resulition properly anyway, there's nothing providing e.g. /bin/python, even though the two paths are accidentally the same in today's Fedora.
- Proposal owners:
- Other developers: replace all explicit /bin/<foo> requires with /usr/bin/<foo>.
- Release engineering: N/A
- Policies and guidelines: update the packaging guidelines accordingly.
Packages with broken /bin requires will be installable again once they are fixed.
How To Test
Packaging guidelines contain information that /bin etc. requires should be avoided.
End users will not notice.
- Contingency mechanism: FPC changing the guideline.
- Contingency deadline: Anytime.
- Blocks release? No.