Node.js has seen many changes between v6.x and v8.x. Note that this release includes API updates that may require dependency updates.
Upstream maintains an exhaustive list of interesting changes here.
Node.js 8.x will be under active development until October 2017, at which time it will enter its long-term stable release, which will be maintained actively through April 2019 and for security issues until December 2019.
Benefit to Fedora
Developers of Node.js applications who use Fedora and community members who package Node.js software for Fedora benefits from the new features and stability improvements in this release. Furthermore, it promotes Fedora's "First" Foundation, by being one of the first distributions to ship this new LTS release.
- Proposal owners:
- Update nodejs
- Rebuild all binary modules, apply patches as necessary
- Other developers:
- Other Node.js packagers' attention may be required if the update causes issues for their packages.
- Release engineering: N/A
- Policies and guidelines:
- No expected changes
- Trademark approval: N/A (not needed for this Change)
Node.js 8.x breaks compatibility in a limited number of cases, which may affect third-party software. (See the Detailed Description above.) Due to the fact that 8.x is will be a long-term stable release by upstream, we expect these to be of minimal impact and third-parties to adapt to support it.
How To Test
Run your favorite Node.js applications and make sure they still work.
There are no changes for end users of applications that use Node.js. There are limited changes for programmers, as stated in the Detailed Description above.
N/A (not a System Wide Change)
- Contingency mechanism: Bump epoch and revert to nodejs 6.x LTS (which will continue to be supported for security updates only through April 2019). Note: this contingency mechanism will be considered an absolute last resort, as downgrading to 6.x may require considerably more effort (including a mass-rebuild) than would be worthwhile.
- Contingency deadline: Beta Freeze
- Blocks release? N/A (not a System Wide Change), Yes/No
- Blocks product? N/A