(Remove not System Wide note)
|Line 89:||Line 89:|
* Policies and guidelines:
* Policies and guidelines: <!-- REQUIRED FOR SYSTEM WIDE CHANGES -->
Revision as of 17:41, 2 April 2014
Update the PHP stack to new version 5.6.
- Name: Remi Collet
- Email: remi @ fedora project DOT org
- Release notes owner:
- Targeted release: Fedora 21
- Last updated: 2014-03-26
- Tracker bug: <will be assigned by the Wrangler>
- PHP 5.6.0alpha3 released Mar 6th 2014
Important changes in this new version:
- Constant Scalar Expressions
- Argument Unpacking
- Syntax for variadic functions
- Power Operator
- Importing namespaced functions
- PHP debugger provided in the new php-dbg subpackage (phpdbg command)
Benefit to Fedora
Provides the latest upstream PHP version.
- Proposal owners:
Mass rebuild of all C extensions (repoquery --whatrequires 'php(api)')
- Other developers:
(pure) PHP extension owners: ensure compatibility, usually this is detected by running upstream test suite, when exists.
PHP webapp owners: test
- Release engineering:
- Policies and guidelines:
This new version should maintains compatibility with version 5.5.x.
How To Test
- test PHP web applications available in the repository
Fedora 19/20 users can use backported packages from remi-php56 repository.
Web developer will get the latest upstream PHP version.
Mass rebuild need: from repoquery --whatrequires 'php(zend-abi)'
Known as not ready:
- php-pecl-parsekit (mostly dead upstream)
- php-xcache (actively maintained upstream)
According to upstream roadmap, 5.6.0 final should be released around June.
- Contingency mechanism: (What to do? Who will do it?) N/A (not a System Wide Change)
- Contingency deadline: N/A (not a System Wide Change)
- Blocks release?: No
- Blocks product?: No
Upstream documentation: Migrating from PHP 5.5.x to PHP 5.6.x