Change Proposal Name
Update the Python 3 stack in Fedora from Python 3.5 to Python 3.6.
- Name: Charalampos Stratakis
- Name: Dominika Krejči
- Name: Lumír Balhar
- Name: Michal Cyprian
- Name: Miro Hrončok
- Name: Petr Viktorin
- Name: Tomáš Orsava
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Release notes owner:
- Targeted release: Fedora 26
- Last updated: 2016-08-15
- Tracker bug: <will be assigned by the Wrangler>
Python 3.6 adds numerous features and optimizations. See the upstream notes at Features for 3.6 and What's new in 3.6.
Benefit to Fedora
Fedora aims to showcase the latest in free and open source software - we should have the most recent release of Python 3.
- Proposal owners:
All the downstream patches will need to be reviewed and then rebased or dropped accordingly. Since some patches are arch specific, they will need to be reviewed for their respective architecture.
Most of the python packages requiring Python 3, should be compatible with Python 3.6. Some incompatible changes and how to port code to Python 3.6 can be seen here: Porting to Python 3.6
Currently there are 1500 packages in Fedora 26 that either BuildRequires or Requires Python 3, and with the continuing porting efforts, the number gets higher every day.
After change is accepted, and a release candidate of Python 3.6 is available, it will be built for F26.
Release Milestones for Python 3.6
There is already a copr repo with the third alpha of Python 3.6 (Python-3.6.0a3) which can be enabled by: dnf copr enable cstratak/python-3.6
- Other developers: Owners of packages that fail to rebuild during the mass rebuild will be asked, using bugzilla, to fix or remove their packages from the distribution. If any issues appear, they should be solvable either by communicating with upstreams first and/or applying downstream patches. Also the package maintainers should have a look at: Porting to Python 3.6. And python-maint team will be available to help with fixing issues.
- Release engineering: Packages will be rebuilt during mass rebuilt. If there is no mass rebuild for whatever reason, a targeted mass rebuild for all python packages will be required
- Policies and guidelines: None
- Trademark approval: N/A (not needed for this Change)
All the packages that depends on Python3 must be rebuild. User written Python 3 scripts/applications may require a small amount of porting, but mostly Python 3.5 is forward compatible with Python 3.6.
How To Test
Interested testers do not need special hardware. If you have a favorite Python 3 script, module, or application, please test it with Python 3.6 and verify that it still works as you expect.
How to get Python 3.6:
- dnf copr enable cstratak/python-3.6
- dnf update python3
This will update your system's python3 version to (currently) 3.6 third alpha
Regular distro users shouldn't notice any change in system behavior other than the Python3 interpreter will be in version 3.6.
See scope section.
- Contingency mechanism: Do not build Python 3.6 in koji
- Contingency deadline: TBD
- Blocks release? No
- Blocks product? product