Remove SHA-1 from Sqlite
Removal of deprecated crypto algorithm SHA-1 from sqlite.
- Name: Ondrej Dubaj
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Targeted release: Fedora 35
- Last updated: 2021-07-12
- FESCo issue: <will be assigned by the Wrangler>
- Tracker bug: <will be assigned by the Wrangler>
- Release notes tracker: <will be assigned by the Wrangler>
The use of SHA-1 is no longer permitted for Digital Signatures or authentication in RHEL-9. Due to this reason, there is a need to remove SHA-1 extension from sqlite in RHEL-9 and therefore also Fedora. The removal of the extension was discussed with sqlite upstream development, who confirmed, that it is safe to remove it and should not impact other functionality of sqlite.
Benefit to Fedora
This change brings update in terms of removing usage of deprecated crypto algorithms as users should not use them. Also it keeps Fedora project up-to-date with the newest RHEL release, what is beneficial for future releases.
- Proposal owners:
- Prepare patch for removing SHA-1 algorithm from sqlite
- Discuss the possible issues with upstream
- Push the changes to Fedora
- Other developers:
- Do not use SHA-1 algorithm in sqlite
- Release engineering: #Releng issue number
- No further coordination is required for this change
- Policies and guidelines: N/A (not needed for this Change)
- No guidelines need to be updated according to this change
- Trademark approval: N/A (not needed for this Change)
- Alignment with Objectives:
SHA-1 algorithm will not be supported in sqlite. Instead SHA-3 algorithm can be used.
How To Test
No special testing is required for this change.
Users won't be able to use SHA-1 algorithm with sqlite. Instead, they can use SHA-3 algorithm, or any other supported algorithm.
- Contingency mechanism: moving this change to Fedora 36, if not successfully finished until Fedora 35 branching from Rawhide
- Contingency deadline: Fedora 35 branching from Rawhide (2021-08-10)
- Blocks release? No
Sqlite documentation: https://www.sqlite.org/docs.html
Discussion with upstream about removing SHA-1 algorithm: https://sqlite.org/forum/forumpost/de1c4a92f3