Vagrant Box for Fedora Atomic and Fedora Cloud
To produce Vagrant boxes based on the Fedora Atomic Host and Fedora Cloud flavors so that users can easily work with Fedora in the Vagrant environment.
- Name: Joe Brockmeier, Ian McLeod, Langdon White
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Release notes owner:
- Product: Cloud
- Responsible WG: Cloud
- Targeted Release: Fedora 22
- Last updated: 2015-01-20
- Tracker bug:
Vagrant is a tool for building and distributing development environments. Vagrant boxes can easily be used on a number of local virtualization platforms such as VirtualBox, VMware, via AWS or OpenStack, or with other platforms. Vagrant is used on Linux, Mac OS X, and Microsoft Windows and would present Fedora with an opportunity to reach a larger developer audience than it currently does.
Many developers prefer to work with Vagrant for their development work, using Vagrant to lower their development setup time, increase productivity, and avoid having to specifically install an OS each time they wish to use it for development.
A number of people have produced unofficial Vagrant boxes, but the Fedora project does not currently produce an "official" Vagrant box for consumption. We would like to close the gap here and offer Vagrant users easy-to-consume Fedora 22 Atomic and Cloud flavored Vagrant boxes.
Benefit to Fedora
What is the benefit to the platform?
The primary benefit to the project is extending the reach of Fedora Cloud to developers. Some developers might otherwise choose other platforms to develop on because they can more easily use them with their preferred tool.
By expanding the reach of Fedora 22 Cloud to Vagrant users, we also expand the circle of potential contributors to the Cloud Working Group and the Fedora Project in general.
- Proposal owners:
- Provide a kickstart file and additional definition for the Vagrant Boxes.
- Provide scripts and patches for Koji to generate Vagrant Boxes.
- Encourage testing of the new Vagrant Boxes by the rest of the Cloud Working Group.
- Other developers:
- Encourage other Fedora developers to make use of the Fedora Vagrant Boxes for their own development work.
- Ensure that Vagrant is packaged for Fedora 22.
- Release engineering:
- Would need to work with owners of this proposal to add needed features to Koji, and add Vagrant Boxes to list of output formats required for release.
- Policies and Guidelines:
- No known impact.
This should have no impact on upgrades or compatibility for other products or users of Fedora 21. This is a new type of release format for Fedora, shouldn't have any impact on prior releases.
How To Test
Fedora Vagrant Box would work "out of the box" with Vagrant on all platforms (Linux, Mac OS X, Windows) with VirtualBox, VMware Fusion or Workstation, etc. Detailed testing instructions to come.
- Support for Vagrant Boxes in ImageFactory/Koji.
- Support for shipping Vagrant Boxes via mirrors, etc.
- Adding Vagrant Boxes as an option on the Fedora Web site cloud download page.
If feature is incomplete by Fedora 22 beta, it would be pulled from the release. No contingency necessary for fallback as this does not exist in Fedora 21.
- Contingency deadline: Beta
- Blocks release? No
- Blocks product? No