Changes/Workstation Enable Software Collections
Workstation: Enable Software Collections
The Software Collections repositories will be enabled by default.
- Name: Matthias Clasen
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Release notes owner:
- Product: Workstation
- Responsible WG: Workstation
- Targeted release: Fedora 21
- Last updated: 2014-04-04
- Tracker bug: <will be assigned by the Wrangler>
The Workstation product is targeting developers, among others. Software collections are aiming to give developers easy access to the tools they need.
Benefit to Fedora
The Workstation product becomes much more useful to developers who need specific versions of languages, compilers or frameworks.
- Proposal owners: Include scl-utils in the Workstation package set
- Other developers: The devassistant should integrate software collection functionality
- Release engineering: No action required
- Policies and guidelines: Allow the inclusion of the software collections repositories in Fedora products
How To Test
- Install the Workstation.
- Log in
- Verify that the scl utility is available
- Verify that installing available software collections works
Software from Software Collections that are available for Fedora 21 can be installed, and the scl utility is part of the installation.
Not really a dependency, but compare Env_and_Stacks/Changes_Drafts/SCL.
- Contingency mechanism: If software collections can not be made available by default, make it possible to add them from the devassistant
- Contingency deadline: F21 beta
- Blocks release? No
- Blocks product? Workstation
The Software Collections website contains information about the technology used for software collections and about available repositories.
The Fedora Workstation supports Software Collections out of the box.