Use ibus-unikey as the default IME for Vietnamese
This recommended default input method for Vietnamese will be changed from ibus-bogo to ibus-unikey.
- Name: Mike Fabian
- Email: <email@example.com>
- Targeted release: Fedora 34
- Last updated: 2021-02-25
- FESCo issue: #2527
- Tracker bug: #1913431
- Release notes tracker: #625
The current Fedora recommended Vietnamese input method ibus-bogo seems not actively maintained, and doesn't work well currently with GNOME Wayland for some time.
Since the ibus-unikey input method seems to work better under Wayland and provides similar functionality, it is now recommended input method and installed for Vietnamese users.
Benefit to Fedora
Provides Vietnamese input that should work across desktops including GNOME Wayland.
ibus-unikey also has less dependencies when installed under GNOME.
- Proposal owners:
- update langpacks-vi to use ibus-unikey
- Release engineering: #9907
- Policies and guidelines: N/A (not a System Wide Change)
- Trademark approval: N/A (not needed for this Change)
Upgrades are not affected, and ibus-unikey should be reasonably compatible with ibus-bogo for Vietnamese input.
How To Test
1. After doing a Vietnamese installation of Fedora and check that ibus-unikey is installed. The Unikey input method should be available:
$ ibus list-engine | grep Unikey Unikey - Unikey
2. Then it should be possible to add the Vietnamese Unikey input method in gnome-control-center.
3. Select Unikey in the input sources menu list in the GNOME panel.
4. Start gedit and type: “Khoong cos gif quis hown ddoocj laapj tuwj do”.
5. You should get the result: “Không có gì quí hơn độc lập tự do”.
The following screenshots show how to add the ibus-unikey input method and do these tests. ibus-unikey:
- Vietnamese users should not notice much difference in typing Vietnamese with ibus-unikey compared to ibus-bogo, except that Unikey works much better under Wayland.
- The setup tool looks a little different: ibus-unikey does not depend on Qt.
None needed really, but we change back to ibus-bogo.
- Contingency mechanism: Revert langpacks-vi to ibus-bogo
- Contingency deadline: Beta release
- Blocks release? No
- Blocks product? None
See also Changes/ibus-m17n_as_default_Sinhala_IME.