Change Proposal Name
- Name: Robbie Harwood
- Email: rharwood at fp dot o
- Release notes owner:
- Targeted release: Fedora 28
- Last updated: 2017-11-14
- Tracker bug: <will be assigned by the Wrangler>
Benefit to Fedora
python-krbV has no python3 support, so its replacement helps projects move to python3.
pykerberos is a very minimal implementation intended for use in calendar server and not intended for consumption by other applications. It has almost no documentation.
python-gssapi is substantially more maintainable than python-krbV and pykerberos, and uses the preferred interface to Kerberos (GSSAPI). Its upstream is active (i.e., not dead) and it is hosted in a reasonable way (its own repository on github) that is friendly to new contributors. The project runs PR CI on Fedora explicitly already.
- Proposal owners: rharwood (responsible for providing patches)
- Other developers: maintainers of affected packages are expected to perform code review
- Release engineering: #Releng issue number (a check of an impact with Release Engineering is needed)
- List of deliverables: N/A (not a System Wide Change)
- Policies and guidelines: N/A (not a System Wide Change)
- Trademark approval: N/A (not needed for this Change)
All dependency changes should be handled seamlessly by dnf without additional input from the user.
How To Test
The following should all produce no results:
dnf repoquery --whatrequires python-krbV
dnf repoquery --whatrequires python-kerberos
dnf repoquery --whatrequires python3-kerberos
Change should not be noticeable, except to any users of the deprecated packages directly.
- Contingency mechanism: Ship them. python-krbV removal is highest priority since no python3 support.
- Contingency deadline: Beta
- Blocks release? No
- Blocks product? No
N/A (not a System Wide Change)