|Line 87:||Line 87:|
Revision as of 14:58, 8 January 2018
Update the MPFR package to version 4.0.0.
- Name: James Paul Turner
- Email: email@example.com
- Release notes owner:
- Targeted release: Fedora 28
- Last updated: 2018-01-08
- Tracker bug: <will be assigned by the Wrangler>
The purpose of this change is to update the Fedora MPFR package to the latest version (4.0.0), released on the 25th December 2017. Due to a soname bump, this change will rebuild all packages that depend on MPFR.
Benefit to Fedora
The MPFR team have released many optimisations, bugfixes and features since the current version (3.1.5), released back on the 27th September 2016. This change will allow several important Fedora packages, including the GCC, to take advantage of this.
Refer to http://www.mpfr.org/mpfr-4.0.0/#changes for the complete list of changes.
- Proposal owners:
- Rebuild of packages that depend on MPFR
- Minor specfile corrections and testing
- Other developers:
- Testing and/or minor fixes of dependant packages
- Release engineering: #7247
- Separate Koji tag for package rebuild will be needed.
- List of deliverables: N/A (not needed for this Change)
- Policies and guidelines: N/A (not needed for this Change)
- Trademark approval: N/A (not needed for this Change)
All existing user binaries built against MPFR 3.1.5 will need to be rebuilt against MPFR 4.0.0.
How To Test
- No special hardware / data / etc. is needed.
- To test, install mpfr-4.0.0, then rebuild and test existing user binaries.
- Try to locally rebuild your packages with mpfr-4.0.0.
- Report failures and other problems to us.
The MPFR dependent packages should behave as they did with mpfr-3.1.5.
dnf repoquery --whatrequires mpfr
- Contingency mechanism: We would like to get a special buildroot tag to be able to rebuild necessary the packages with mpfr-4.0.0. If anything goes wrong, the tag can be easily dropped, and previous version of mpfr-3.1.5 and its dependencies stays intact. The tag would be merged into F28 after everything is rebuilt.
- Contingency deadline: Mass Rebuild
- Blocks release? No
- Blocks product? No
Documentation can be found upstream at http://www.mpfr.org/mpfr-4.0.0.