A new perl 5.26 version brings a lot of changes done over a year of development. Perl 5.26 was released 5/31/2017. See 5.26.0 perldelta for more details about preparing release.
- Name: Jitka Plesníková
- Email: <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- Name: Petr Písař
- Email: <email@example.com>
- Release notes owner:
- Get dedicated build-root from rel-engs (f27-perl)
- Define perl_bootstrap in perl-srpm-macros
- Rebase perl to 5.26.0
- Build new perl 5.26 keeping old COMPAT Provides
- Rebuild dual-lived packages (otherwise yum recommends --skip-broken and fails)
- Rebuild packages needed for minimal build-root
- Rebuild packages needed for building source packages from git repository
- Remove old perl(:MODULE_COMPAT_5.24.*) from perl
- Undefine perl_bootstrap
- Rebuild other packages: Use Fedora::Rebuild dependency solver
- Rebuild packages having perl_bootstrap condition in spec file
- Rebuild all updated packages
- Merge dedicated build-root to rawhide and remove the dedicated one by rel-engs
- Synchronize packages upgraded in f27 build root
- Rebuilt Perl packages: 2969 of 3011 done (98.61 %)
Items in progress
- Failed builds (22):
- asterisk - build failed with OpenSSL 1.1.0 BZ#1459608
- collectd - missing dependency - liboping
- crypto-utils - build failed BZ#1431612
- cyrus-imapd - failed tests Cyrus::Sieve.badscript_timsieved
- debhelper - test t/buildsystems/buildsystem_tests.t failed BZ#1459615
- dnssec-tools - build failed BZ#1381613
- kvirc - build failed BZ#1423830
- liboping - build failed on architectures ppc64le and aarch64 BZ#1427893
- libsedml - build failed on architecture s390x
- obexftp - openobex-devel is missing on s390x
- os-autoinst - tests failed
- perl-Algorithm-CurveFit - build failed BZ#1242769
- perl-CHI - tests failed BZ#1435166
- perl-Gtk3-WebKit - build failed due to missing webkitgtk3-devel BZ#1373410
- perl-HTML-FormFu-MultiForm - tests fail randomly BZ#1460679
- perl-Math-Pari - build failed BZ#1459155
- perl-OpenOffice-UNO - test fail randomly BZ#1106166
- perl-PDL-Graphics-PLplot - tests failed BZ#1459590
- perl-SDL - tests failed on architectures ppc64le and ppc64 BZ#1427880
- redland-bindings - build failed BZ#1350620
- subunit - tests failed on x86_64
- xchat - build failed BZ#1387521
- It is not possible to build due to missing dependencies (20):
- frozen-bubble - perl-SDL
- perl-Catalyst-Controller-FormBuilder - perl-Catalyst-View-Mason
- perl-Catalyst-Controller-HTML-FormFu - perl-HTML-FormFu-MultiForm
- perl-Catalyst-View-Email - perl-Catalyst-View-Mason
- perl-Catalyst-View-Mason - perl-HTML-Mason
- perl-Crypt-PWSafe3 - perl-Crypt-Random
- perl-Crypt-Primes - perl-Math-Pari perl-Crypt-Random
- perl-Crypt-RSA - perl-Math-Pari perl-Crypt-Random
- perl-Crypt-Random - perl-Math-Pari
- perl-HTML-Mason - perl-CHI
- perl-HTML-Mason-PSGIHandler - perl-HTML-Mason
- perl-HTTP-Server-Simple-Mason - perl-HTML-Mason
- perl-MasonX-Interp-WithCallbacks - perl-HTML-Mason
- perl-MasonX-Request-WithApacheSession - perl-HTML-Mason
- perl-Mojolicious-Plugin-CHI - perl-CHI
- perl-Net-SFTP - perl-Net-SFTP-Foreign
- perl-Net-SFTP-Foreign - perl-Net-SSH-Perl
- perl-Net-SSH-Perl - perl-Math-Pari perl-Crypt-RSA
- perl-Task-Catalyst - perl-Catalyst-View-Email
- rt - perl-HTML-Mason perl-HTTP-Server-Simple-Mason perl-HTML-Mason-PSGIHandler
- Unfixable packages retired (0)
Items to be done
New perl is released every year and updates containing mainly bug fixes follow during the year. The 5.26.0 version is stable release this year.
Benefit to Fedora
Up-to-date and latest perl release will be delivered to Fedora users.
Every Perl package will be rebuilt in a dedicated f27-perl build-root against perl 5.26.0 and then if no major problem emerges the packages will be merged back to f27 build-root.
- Proposal owners:
New perl and all packages requiring perl or a Perl module will be rebuilt into f27-perl build-root.
- Other developers:
Owners of packages that fail to rebuild, mainly perl-sig users, will be asked using Bugzilla to fix or remove their packages from the distribution.
- Release engineering:
Release engineers will be asked for new f27-perl build-root inheriting from f27 build-root. After successful finishing the rebuild, they will be asked to merge f27-perl packages back to f27 build-root.
- Policies and guidelines:
No policies have to be modified to complete this change.
Vast majority of functionality will be preserved. Only the packages that failed to build against perl 5.26 will be removed from the distribution. That will require to remove those packages from existing systems otherwise package manager will encounter unsatisfied dependencies.
How To Test
Try upgrading from Fedora 26 to 27. Try some Perl application to verify they work as expected. Try embedded perl in slapd or snmpd.
There should not be any remarkable change in user experience.
There is more than 3000 packages depending on perl. Most of them are expected not to break. Finishing this change can be endangered only by critical changes in a toolchain.
If we find perl 5.26 is not suitable for Fedora 27, we will revert back to perl 5.24 and we drop the temporary build-root with already rebuilt packages.
- Contingency deadline: branching Fedora 27 from Rawhide.
- Blocks release? No.
- New features:
- Removed features:
- c2ph and pstruct were removed from perlutil