Random ideas that we don't want to forget
MCHEN'S THREE BIG THINGS
- business focus
REMEMBER THE GOAL
- it's the developers, stupid
- contribution and creation of value (developed countries)
- brand awareness and saturation (developing countries)
- Open Source Leadership
- ISVs in EPEL
- Bring value to end user
- Reward the true open source partners
STUFF THAT AN APAC COMMUNITY ARCHITECT COULD DO
- japan intelligence
- china intelligence
- apac university tour (interns/contributors)
- local events
- knowing which ones matter
- creating them if necessary
- apac ambassador summit -- lca 2009??
BIG SHOWS IN APAC
- india -- foss.in, linux asia
- japan -- ? (warren, harish)
- china -- linux foundation event (eugene?)
- apac -- AOSSS (funded by japanese government)
- singapore -- singapore linux conf (99,00,01,03, now dead)
- who is participating, project by project?
- how do we drive those numbers?
- what does it mean to participate?
- patches from outside, bugzilla/trac usage?
- development -> test -> production.
- make d -> t faster, better.
- make p have fewer problems, supportable and scalable.
- community consulting in d, t drives value and makes revenue in p acceptable.
- otherwise, p is a commodity and we lose.
- leverage open source in non-differentiating areas.
- podcasts/tv/etc in local languages
- localized spins at every show
- publications (again localized)
- ambassadors newsletter
- local language portals for ambassadors
- ambassador business cards
- revenue vs. bookings
- gross margin
- single year bookings
- gross margins -- software vs. services
- knock down barriers
- infrastructure of participation
- weekend projects
- sustainability of models