What We Do
- Serve as a design firm for the Fedora community, creating artwork and designs to for the Fedora community on request
- How can we measurably achieve this goal? If we advertise this service properly to the Fedora community, successfully get a stream of requests (let's say at least 5 requests per month for a start), and if we can fulfill at least 5 requests per month to the satisfaction of the person requesting them, we can say we have successfully met this goal.
- Provide resources (tutorials, art assets, advice) and encouragement for the use of the FOSS creative tools available in Fedora, under open licenses to demonstrate the importance of the application of FOSS ideas to creative content; using FOSS tools in the creation of our artwork so it serves as a showcase for those tools;
- How can we measurably achieve this goal? If we can provide the community with at least 1 major resource (tutorial, article, art asset, scheduled lesson event, scheduled outreach event (such as a contest to promote FOSS art tools) under an open license, then we can say we have successfully met this goal.
- Make it easy for 'creative contributors' to contribute to the Fedora project.
- How can we measurably achieve this goal? If we can attract at least one contributor every 3 months (for example, at least every three months someone new to the artTeam completes a request in the service request pages below), then we could probably say we have successfully met this goal.
Services Provided to the Fedora Community
The Design Team provides the following services to the Fedora Community:
- Hackergotchi Design - Finally got added to Planet Fedora ( ) but don't have a cool hackergotchi to identify your posts?
- Web Graphic Design or Interaction Design - Are you the administrator of a Fedora web app but need some icons or a nice template to spruce it up? Think you need to improve the usability of your application but you're not sure how? Do you want to run a marketing campaign on the Fedora wiki but need some graphical banners?
- Marketing Collateral Design - Are you a Fedora Ambassadors or member of the marketing team, and need a quick poster or banner for an event you're helping organize? Do you need other collateral such as CD/DVD labels, sticker designs, t-shirt designs, or some illustrations to help make your event or campaign a success?
- Documentation Illustration - Working on a how-to or reference guide for Fedora, and think an illustration, diagram, or icon would help make your point clearer?
If you have a request for any of the services listed above or other services you think the Design Team can help you with, post a new Design team ticket.
Joining the Design Team
You want to join the Fedora Design team? Awesome! You're in for a lot of fun. We've put together a page chock full 'o information on how to join our team, please take a look!
Our schedule for the Fedora 14 Cycle is available here:
We have weekly meetings on Tuesdays at 1900 UTC. (That's 3 PM EDT!) We hold our meetings in #fedora-design on irc.freenode.net. Come stop by and meet everybody if you're interested in getting started with our team!
Latest Meeting Minutes
- 20 July 2010
- Fedora 14 - we've gotten lots of feedback, Schendje and Fab will work on iterating the artwork
- Johan released Comfortaa under the OFL, mizmo will call for someone to package it.
- We had a long discussion about the new www.fpo design
- 13 July 2010
- Fedora 14 - we need feedback! We need supplemental wallpaper submissions! Let's go out and get 'em! :)
- Comfortaa trial going well, considering Cantarell for body text - let's look for any holes or issues with them!
- New www.fpo and fedoracommunity.org designs
- New Fedora Join page - need feedback on draft!
- full summary http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/design-team/2010-July/002840.html
- 06 July 2010
- F14 default wallpaper decision
- Decided on a trial of Comfortaa + Droid Sans for Fedora fonts
- full summary http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/design-team/2010-July/002774.html
- 29 June 2010
- 22 June 2010
- 15 June 2010
- 08 June 2010 - No meeting
- 01 June 2010
Active Discussions / Projects
Our ticket system is available at https://fedorahosted.org/design-team/. If you'd like the design team to work on something, it's recommended that you both open a new ticket and also send a note to the firstname.lastname@example.org mailing list to let us know about it.
Long Term Projects
- Polish for F13 Firstboot
- The Great F13 Crufty Icon Purge
- ABRT UI Usability Improvements
- SE Troubleshoot Usability Improvements
- Anaconda Storage UI Usability Improvements
- system-config-selinux UI Usability Improvements
- Fedora Website Redesign 2009
- Fedora Community Design and Usability Testing
- SSSD and system-config-authentication design
- Rich web UI design for mailing list discussions
- Design team ticket tackling tools: making it easier for newcomers to take on our Trac queue
The Fedora Usability Lab
- Assembly Instructions - so you've got the big black usability box somehow. How do you put it together to get ready to run usability tests? Learn here!
- Running A Usability Test - you've got the usability lab all set up! Now what? How do you run a test?
- Post-Test Data Processing - you've just finished a bunch of usability tests - yay! But how do you get the video data off of the usability lab DVR and up on the web to share?
- Analyzing Usability Data - you've got your videos and filled out task sheets for each of your usability testers. How do you turn that into useful data for developres? Learn how here!
- Usability Lab Specs - want to purchase parts to assemble your own usability lab? Learn how we did here!