- 1 Fedora Design Suite
- 1.1 Summary
- 1.2 Previous Releases
- 1.3 Owner(s), Maintainer(s) and Co-Maintainer(s)
- 1.4 Detailed Description
- 1.5 What's new?
- 1.6 Benefit to Fedora
- 1.7 Kickstart File
- 1.8 Nightly Builds
- 1.9 ISO Name / FS Label
- 1.10 Dependencies
- 1.11 Scope / Testing
- 1.12 Spins Page
- 1.13 Comments and Discussion
Fedora Design Suite
The Design Suite is a Spin targeted towards professional designers, specifically the Fedora Design Team.
Owner(s), Maintainer(s) and Co-Maintainer(s)
- Name: Luya Tshimbalanga (Owner)
- E-mail: luya at fedoraproject dot org
- Name: Sebastian Dziallas (Previous owner)
- E-Mail: sdz at fedoraproject dot org
- Name: Pierros Papadeas (Maintainer)
- E-mail: ppapadeas at fedoraproject dot org
Have you ever wanted to use the tools the Fedora Design Team is using? Or are you probably even looking forward to getting involved in Fedora as a designer? This is your chance.
The Fedora Design Suite includes well-selected applications, fitting a variety of use cases. Whether you decide to work on publishing documents, creating images, pictures, website, or even 3D content, the Design Suite has a fitting tool.
- Based on Gnome desktop.
- Removal from thelist of packages no longer available in Fedora repository: agave and jockosher.
- darktable, font-manager replace rawtherapee and fontmatrix as default package.
- Inclusion of audacity, bluefish, cmyktool, entangle, colord-extra (obsoleting shared-color-profiles-extra starting from Fedora 19),filezilla and pdfshuttler.
- More fonts (or typefaces) included those used by Fedora Design team are added: Comfortaa, Lato and Overpass.
- Due to the addition of packages, Design Suite can no longer fit in a CD. For this reason, the spin now require at minimum of 2GB USB drive and a DVD.
These are packages that have been chosen for inclusion in this release.
|darktable||||remote acquisition from dSLR cameras|
|entangle||||remote acquisition from dSLR cameras|
|fontforge||packaged||*the* editor for font files|
|GREYCstoration-gimp||packaged||small one; user request|
|ImageMagick||packaged||*the* tool for batch-processing images|
|audio & video||group|
|gtk-recordmydesktop||packaged||recording tools are good to have|
Benefit to Fedora
This spin is insofar beneficial for Fedora itself, as it helps the Design Team by fitting its needs through selecting often used applications and including them on one spin. Additionally, it helps new users interested in design matters to join Fedora, since they'll be able to download the spin and start directly using the applications - without being required to look into the load of available packages. In a way, it fosters the design community inside Fedora.
Latest ks file inside git repository as LiveDVD (might renamed it as Live)
Sometimes the nights are not so good and resulting to fails. We are working on them! :)
ISO Name / FS Label
We are also working on an equivalent comps group, which is a non-blocking component, though.
Aside from this, no other dependencies are required.
Scope / Testing
Generally, the spin should boot and popular applications like Gimp and Inkscape should work. The nightly builds will make testing quite easier. So far, no extraordinary changes have been included.
The latest version of the HTML template with this content is at http://mchua.fedorapeople.org/spins/designsuite_spinpage.html.
- Open Creativity.
mythcat proposal : "Imagination is more important than knowledge..." by Albert Einstein
Looking for a ready-to-go desktop environment brimming with free and open source multimedia production and publishing tools? Try the Design Suite, a Fedora Spin created by designers, for designers.
The Design Suite includes the favorite tools of the Fedora Design Team. These are the same programs we use to create all the artwork that you see within the Fedora Project, from desktop backgrounds to CD sleeves, web page designs, application interfaces, flyers, posters and more. From document publication to vector and bitmap editing or 3D modeling to photo management, the Design Suite has an application for you — and you can install thousands more from Fedora's universe of packages.
The Design Suite features a host of free and open source tools chosen by the Fedora Design Team as their favorites for day-to-day work. It includes:
- blender for 3D modeling, animation, rendering and post-production
- bluefish for website design
- The GIMP, a raster graphics editor
- MyPaint a digital painting editor
- Inkscape, a vector graphics editor
- shotwell for managing photographs
- scribus for professional-quality document layout
- xournal, a sketching and document annotation program for tablet PCs
- dia for creating flowcharts and diagrams
- and more!
- Will be done later in the release cycle
- For current downloads, see here http://spins.fedoraproject.org/design/#downloads
- IRC channel: #fedora-design on Freenode
- mailing list: firstname.lastname@example.org
- To be discussed with the design team