(Correct the right address and mention the architecture)
|Line 27:||Line 27:|
=== Upcoming milestones ===
=== Upcoming milestones ===
== Design concepts ==
== Design concepts ==
Revision as of 00:08, 29 January 2013
The Design Suite is a Fedora Spin targeted towards professional designers, specifically the Fedora Design Team.
- target 1: showcase of design team work
- target 2: typesetting -- fonts, inkscape, color profiles
- target 3: general art/design work -- gimp, inkscape, color profiles, brushes
- target 4: video editing -- including screencasting
- target 5: desktop publishing -- OpenOffice.org + templates, scribus
- target 6: website -- with the growing trend toward HTML5, provide a web editor like Bluefish
The latest image is available at nightly compose site in 32 bits (i686) and 64 bits (x86_64).
How to contribute
- #Download the current version and test it (at this point, you may want to do so in a VM (virtual machine)). Send feedback to the design-team mailing list.
- Help us fill in our list of #Packages - what would you like to see on a Design Studio Spin and why?
To be determined
This section needs to be filled out.
What are the design concepts we've agreed on for this? Possible examples include:
- select 'best of breed' apps vs "include as much as possible"
- restrict to graphics vs also go for audio/video
- include data vs not including data
- Based on: Fedora 13
- Size: CD size? 2GB USB sticks?
To suggest a package we should include, add it to the #Under consideration table.
- What do we do with brushes?
- Will we get our own spin design?
- Which gimp plugins do we include?
- What about a comps group for the spin?
- What makes it into a bookmarks package?
- Will we get great inkscape tutorials packaged ?
These are packages that have been chosen for inclusion in this release. They may still need packaging help.
|entangle||review required||remote acquisition from dSLR cameras|
|fontforge||packaged||*the* editor for font files|
|GREYCstoration-gimp||packaged||small one; user request|
|ImageMagick||packaged||*the* tool for batch-processing images|
|pinta||review required (#569038)||nice painting tool|
|rawtherapee||packaged (#569204)||sweet tool, recent addition|
|synfig||packaged (#479527)||initial selection|
|evince||packaged||pdf files - yay|
|pdfmod||review required (#537640)||initial selection|
|audio & video||group|
|gtk-recordmydesktop||packaged||recording tools are good to have|
These are packages that were suggested but turned down for this release due to size, code maturity, or other reasons.
|name of package||Why we're not including it|
|gthumb||replaced by shotwell|
|koffice-krita||pulls a lot of kde stuff in|
|openoffice.org-impress||simply too big|
|openoffice.org-extendedPDF||simply too big|
|gnash||possibly not mature enough|
|gwibber||pulls in couchdb and erlang|
|tracker-search-tool||it's a live media|
|vino||we don't really need a vnc server|
|vinagre||same goes for a vnc client|
|openclipart||this is way too big|
|hugin||pulls in too many deps right now; reconsider at a later date|
|fyre||had issues adding it to the package set; reconsider at a later date|
|alchemy||feature set duplicates that of other/better applications already included|
|nathive||feature set too small. pinta is better suited|
Packages we have not yet made a decision on. If you'd like to suggest something for inclusion in the Design Studio, add it to the table below.
|mw||not packaged||makes VCS access to MediaWiki easier||Sebastian Dziallas|
|phatch||not packaged||Easily batch process images and edit metadata||loboorgen|
|openshot||not packaged||Create and edit videos and movies||loboorgen|
|screenruler||not packaged||Screen Ruler||loboorgen|
|cellwriter||already packaged||Handwriting Recognition for TabletPCs||rjt|
|add yours here||packaged or not||why should we include it||your name|
Some places to get ideas from:
- Should we be including fonts? Which ones?
- For an older list of packages we may want to consider for the final F13 build, see the (several releases out-of-date) Fedora Art Studio Package Manifest
- Should we include clip art from [openclipart.org, [http://www.wpclipart.com/, or other sources? Also see the old Fedora Art Studio Clipart Selection and Planning Page.
- Potential source of ideas: http://lifehacker.com/software/creative-commons/geek-to-live-6-ways-to-find-reusable-media-197538.php
- File:Artwork ArtTeamProjects FedoraArtStudio artstudio-ks-oct 6 2007.cfg - Old kickstart file from October 2007
- What should the default search be? http://www.iconfinder.net, http://search.creativecommons.org/, and http://www.yotophoto.com all seem like options.
- Do we want to link (perhaps in a default bookmarks selection) to directories/libraries of artistic works created using open source software, or artistic works that are open-licensed?
- Do we want to include (via bookmarks, on a webpage, as packages, etc) tutorials for the applications we are shipping?
- How about color profiles?
- Patterns and textures?
- Older versions of this page have some ideas and lots of links as well.