The Design Suite is a project in progress to make a Remix (eventually a Spin) targeted towards professional designers, specifically the Fedora Design Team.
Under discussion - please discuss/edit! First round of targets comes from Martin Sourada.
- target 1: showcase of design team work (perhaps customise the looks of the spin, add more wallpapers, include echo icons?)
- target 2: typesetting -- fonts, inkscape, TeX, color profiles
- target 3: general art/design work -- gimp, inkscape, color profiles, brushes, perhaps our echo-artist helper scripts...
- target 4: video editing -- something for screencasting, something to grab raw video from video camera, pitivi or kino or something like that for cutting, perhaps an app for sound editing/recording, include dirac/schrodinger codec (I think theora, vorbis, flac, etc. are already in), perhaps some app (subtitleeditor, etc) for subtitling
- target 5: desktop publishing -- OpenOffice.org + templates, scribus
The latest image is available at http://www.wuala.com/sdziallas/fedora. (This is a very temporary hosting solution.) This is a work in progress - although it has worked in a VM, it is not finished and may break.
How to contribute
- #Download the current version and test it (at this point, you may want to do so in a VM (virtual machine)). Send feedback to the design-team mailing list.
- Help us fill in our list of #Packages - what would you like to see on a Design Studio Spin and why?
The list below is taken directly from the Fedora 13 schedule - milestones specific to this project should be added in.
- 2010-02-09 - Fedora 13 is branched from Rawhide
- 2010-03-02 - Alpha public availability
- 2010-04-06 - Beta public availability
- 2010-04-28 - Bug Complete (No More Changes)
- 2010-05-11 - Fedora 13 GA release
This section needs to be filled out.
What are the design concepts we've agreed on for this? Possible examples include:
- select 'best of breed' apps vs "include as much as possible"
- restrict to graphics vs also go for audio/video
- include data vs not including data
- Based on: Fedora 13
- Size: CD size? 2GB USB sticks?
To suggest a package we should include, add it to the #Under consideration table.
These are packages that have been chosen for inclusion in this release. They may still need packaging help.
|name of package||packaged or not?||Why we're including it|
These are packages that were suggested but turned down for this release due to size, code maturity, or other reasons.
|name of package||Why we're not including it|
Packages we have not yet made a decision on. If you'd like to suggest something for inclusion in the Design Studio, add it to the table below.
|name of package||packaged or not?||Why should we include it?||Your name|
Some places to get ideas from:
- Should we be including fonts? Which ones?
- For an older list of packages we may want to consider for the final F13 build, see the (several releases out-of-date) Fedora Art Studio Package Manifest
- Should we include clip art from [openclipart.org, [http://www.wpclipart.com/, or other sources? Also see the old Fedora Art Studio Clipart Selection and Planning Page.
- Potential source of ideas: http://lifehacker.com/software/creative-commons/geek-to-live-6-ways-to-find-reusable-media-197538.php
- File:Artwork ArtTeamProjects FedoraArtStudio artstudio-ks-oct 6 2007.cfg - Old kickstart file from October 2007
- What should the default search be? http://www.iconfinder.net, http://search.creativecommons.org/, and http://www.yotophoto.com all seem like options.
- Do we want to link (perhaps in a default bookmarks selection) to directories/libraries of artistic works created using open source software, or artistic works that are open-licensed?
- Do we want to include (via bookmarks, on a webpage, as packages, etc) tutorials for the applications we are shipping?
- How about color profiles?
- Patterns and textures?
- Older versions of this page have some ideas and lots of links as well.