- 1 Introduction
- 2 Download
- 3 How to contribute
- 4 Design concepts
- 5 Technical requirements
- 6 Packages
- 7 List of included packages
- 8 Resources
The Design Suite is a Fedora Spin targeted towards professional designers, specifically the Fedora Design Team.
- target 1: showcase of design team work
- target 2: typesetting -- fonts, inkscape, color profiles
- target 3: general art/design work -- gimp, inkscape, color profiles, brushes
- target 4: video editing -- including screencasting
- target 5: desktop publishing -- OpenOffice.org + templates, scribus
- target 6: website -- with the growing trend toward HTML5, provide a web editor like Bluefish
The latest image is available at nightly compose site in 32 bits (i686) and 64 bits (x86_64).
How to contribute
- #Download the current version and test it (at this point, you may want to do so in a VM (virtual machine)). Send feedback to the design-team mailing list.
- Help us fill in our list of #Packages - what would you like to see on a Design Studio Spin and why?
To be determined
This section needs to be filled out.
What are the design concepts we've agreed on for this? Possible examples include:
- select 'best of breed' apps vs "include as much as possible"
- restrict to graphics vs also go for audio/video
- include data vs not including data
- Based on: Fedora 19
- Size: at least 2GB usb stick (in progress) or DVD
To suggest a package we should include, add it to the #Under consideration table.
- What do we do with brushes?
- Will we get our own spin design?
- Which gimp plugins do we include?
- What about a comps group for the spin?
- What makes it into a bookmarks package?
- Will we get great inkscape tutorials packaged ?
List of included packages
No longer constrained by the size of livecd, more unique packages are included in the suite. One notable exception is cinepaint remaining as part of default package due to its support of HDR images for higher color fidelity which is missing in Gimp 2.8 (2.9.x does but it is not part of Fedora repository).
|blender||http://www.blender.org||3D modeling, animation, rendering and post-production|
|cinepaint||http://cinepaint.org/||Tool for manipulating HDR images|
|cmyktool||http://www.blackfiveimaging.co.uk/index.php?article=02Software%2F05CMYKTool||Utility to manage color profiles and convert from RGB to CMYK|
|colord-extra-profiles||http://www.freedesktop.org/software/colord/||More color profiles for color management that are less commonly used|
|darktable||http://www.darktable.org||Utility to organize and develop raw images|
|entangle||http://entangle-photo.org||Tethered shooting & control of digital cameras|
|fontforge||http://fontforge.org/||*the* editor for font files|
|font-manager||http://code.google.com/p/font-manager/||Font management application|
|gimp||http://www.gimp.org||Image manipulation program|
|gimp-fourier-plugin||http://people.via.ecp.fr/~remi/soft/gimp/gimp_plugin_en.php3||A simple plug-in to do fourier transform on your image|
|gimp-lqr-plugin||http://liquidrescale.wikidot.com/||Content-aware resizing plug-in for the GIMP|
|gimp-resynthesizer||http://logarithmic.net/pfh/resynthesizer||Gimp plug-in for texture synthesis|
|GREYCstoration-gimp||http://www.greyc.ensicaen.fr/~dtschump/greycstoration/index.html||GREYCstoration image denoising and interpolation plugin for gimp|
|Hugin||http://hugin.sourceforge.net/||Panorama photo stitcher|
|ImageMagick||http://www.imagemagick.org/||*the* tool for batch-processing images|
|inkscape||http://www.inkscape.org||Vector-based drawing program using SVG|
|mypaint||http://mypaint.intilinux.com/||Fast and easy graphic application for digital painters|
|nautilus-image-converter||http://www.bitron.ch/software/nautilus-image-converter.php||Nautilus extension for image conversion|
|optipng||http://optipng.sourceforge.net/||PNG optimizer and converter|
|scribus||http://scribus.net||Desktop publishing application|
|synfigstudio||http://www.synfig.org||Vector-based 2D animation studio|
|xournal||http://xournal.sourceforge.net||Notetaking, sketching, PDF annotation and general journal|
|LibreOffice Suite||http://www.libreoffice.org||Bundle Writer, Calc, Impress|
|dia||http://www.gnome.org/projects/dia/||Diagram drawing program|
Audio and Video group
|audacity||packaged||Multitrack audio editor|
|pitivi||packaged||Non-linear video editor|
Typeface (aka fonts) group
|aajohan-comfortaa-fonts||http://aajohan.deviantart.com/art/Comfortaa-font-105395949||Modern style true type|
|adobe-source-sans-pro||http://sourceforge.net/projects/sourcesans.adobe/||A set of OpenType fonts designed for user interfaces|
|lato-fonts||http://www.google.com/webfonts/specimen/Lato||Sans-serif typeface family|
|openpass-fonts||https://fedorahosted.org/overpass-fonts/||Typeface based on the U.S. interstate highway road signal type system|
These are packages that were suggested but turned down for this release due to size, code maturity, or other reasons.
|name of package||Why we're not including it|
|gthumb||replaced by shotwell|
|koffice-krita||pulls a lot of kde stuff in|
|gnash||possibly not mature enough|
|gwibber||pulls in couchdb and erlang|
|tracker-search-tool||it's a live media|
|vino||we don't really need a vnc server|
|vinagre||same goes for a vnc client|
|openclipart||this is way too big|
|fyre||had issues adding it to the package set; reconsider at a later date|
|alchemy||feature set duplicates that of other/better applications already included|
|nathive||feature set too small. pinta is better suited|
Packages we have not yet made a decision on. If you'd like to suggest something for inclusion in the Design Studio, add it to the table below.
|mw||not packaged||makes VCS access to MediaWiki easier||Sebastian Dziallas|
|phatch||not packaged||Easily batch process images and edit metadata||loboorgen|
|openshot||not packaged||Create and edit videos and movies||loboorgen|
|screenruler||not packaged||Screen Ruler||loboorgen|
|cellwriter||already packaged||Handwriting Recognition for TabletPCs||rjt|
|add yours here||packaged or not||why should we include it||your name|
Some places to get ideas from:
- Should we be including fonts? Which ones?
- For an older list of packages we may want to consider for the final F13 build, see the (several releases out-of-date) Fedora Art Studio Package Manifest
- Should we include clip art from [openclipart.org, [http://www.wpclipart.com/, or other sources? Also see the old Fedora Art Studio Clipart Selection and Planning Page.
- Potential source of ideas: http://lifehacker.com/software/creative-commons/geek-to-live-6-ways-to-find-reusable-media-197538.php
- File:Artwork ArtTeamProjects FedoraArtStudio artstudio-ks-oct 6 2007.cfg - Old kickstart file from October 2007
- What should the default search be? http://www.iconfinder.net, http://search.creativecommons.org/, and http://www.yotophoto.com all seem like options.
- Do we want to link (perhaps in a default bookmarks selection) to directories/libraries of artistic works created using open source software, or artistic works that are open-licensed?
- Do we want to include (via bookmarks, on a webpage, as packages, etc) tutorials for the applications we are shipping?
- How about color profiles?
- Patterns and textures?
- Older versions of this page have some ideas and lots of links as well.