What's new for amateur radio operators
Fedora 10 has much to offer for amateur radio operators and electronics hobbyists. Many applications are available to design and simulate circuits, design printed circuit boards and carry out other electronic design tasks. Packages are included to operate a wide variety of sound card modes, as well as gnuradio for software defined radio (SDR). Packages are also included for the dxer as well as the new ham trying to learn Morse code.
In this release, there are a number of changes.
the geda (gnu Electronic Design Assistant) suite of tools has been updated to version 20080929. This is a bugfix release and there are no major changes visible to the user. pcb has been updated to 0.20081128. gtkwave which is used by the gEDA suite has also been updated to 3.1.13. These are also bugfix releases.
gerbv 2.1.0 is also used as part of the gEDA suite. It includes a number of new features:
- Added ability to select objects, with the option of deleting or viewing basic properties of the objects
- Split off the core functionality of gerbv into a library (libgerbv) to allow developers to quickly write software using Gerber parsing/editing/exporting/rendering functionality. Full DOxygen documentation has also been created to facilitate developers wishing to use libgerbv.
- Added export to RS274X and Excellon functionality, allowing gerbv to translate files between formats. The RS274X export function can also be used to "clean" troublesome files to a more compatible format.
- Added the ability to override the Excellon format "guessing", allowing non-standard drill files to be correctly rendered
- Greatly expanded the command line functionality, including the ability to panelize boards into a single one through the command line
- Added "Aperture usage" tab to Gerber reports. This allows the user to see how often each aperture is used in all visible layers of his project.
gnuradio has been update to version 3.1.2. There are a large number of bugfixes as well as many "fine tuning" changes to the gui. See the gnuradio release log at http://gnuradio.org/trac/wiki/Release3.1Branch for complete details.
iverilog is used for circuit simulation and Fedora 10 includes version 0.9.20080905. This is primarily a bugfix release.
Fedora 10 includes version 3.4.30 of xcircuit, a shcmatic capture ant netlist generation tool. This is a minor upgrade from Fedora 9 and upgrading should pose no problems for users.