What's new for amateur radio operators
Fedora 11 includes a number of applications and libraries that are of interest to amateur radio operators and electronic hobbyists. Many of these applications are included in the Fedora Electronic Lab spin. For a complete list of amateur radio applications available within Fedora see Applications for amateur radio on the wiki.
Sound card applications
Fedora 11 includes version 3.10 of fldigi. Changes from Fedora 10 include many enhancements to the waterfall and logging, along with dozens of minor changes to the user interface and bug fixes. For a complete list of changes see the upstream project's site at http://www.w1hkj.com/fldigi-distro/.
Version 1.9 of xfhell includes some improvements in handling the PTT line and additional flexibility in adjusting window sizes, as well as some bug fixes. The project's site is at http://5b4az.chronos.org.uk/pages/digital.html.
soundmodem is now back in Fedora. soundmodem 0.10 provides a way to use your sound card as a modem for digital applications such as AX.25. The upstream's project page is http://www.baycom.org/~tom/ham/soundmodem/.
HamFax 0.54 is new to Fedora. HamFax is an application for sending and receiving facsimiles in amateur radio and for receiving public facsimile broadcasts like weather maps. Supported interfaces are sound cards and the SCS-PTCII from Special Communication Systems.
Software Defined Radio
gnuradio has been updated to version 3.1.3. This is largely a bugfix update.
Circuit Design and Simulation
The gEDA suite has been updated to 20081231. This includes the packages geda-docs, geda-examples, geda-gattrib, geda-gnetlist, geda-gschem, geda-gsymcheck, geda-symbols and geda-utils. These are all bugfix releases. In addition, gerbv, pcb, and ngspice are a part of the gEDA suite, but released separately.
gerbv 2.1.0 includes improvements to object selection, improved exporting, and more flexibility in dealing with drill files. The complete release notes for this package can be found at http://gerbv.sourceforge.net/ANNOUNCEMENT-2.1.0.
pcb has been updated to 20081128. Included among the improvements is a new 'Ben mode' that exports a 'photograph' of the board as a .png file. There are also some minor improvements in drill handling and a number of bug fixes. The complete release notes for this version are available at http://pcb.sourceforge.net/news.html#20081128.
ngspice has been updated to version 18. Changes include:
- Tclspice simulator library has been merged with ngspice. Now you can compile ngapice or tclspice by asserting a configure switch. See README.tcl
- New options have been introduced: brief, listing, autostop and scale
- Support for .lib file has been introduced. This allows the use of third party model libraries in ngspice.
- .measure statements: avg, integ, rms, max, min, delay, param
- .global statements t support for global nodes whose name is not expanded when flattening the netlist.
- .func macros for inlining functions into netlists.
- Improved the numparam library to support fully parametrized netlists.
- BSIM model binning.
- new multi-input gate VCVS using XSPICE extensions.
iverliog has been updated to 0.9.20081118. This is largely a bugfix update.
LinLog has been updated to version 0.4.
qle 0.0.10 is new to Fedora 11. qle is a graphic QSO log viewer, log editor and QSO logger. It logs (or modifies) QSOs directly in a fast and light-weight SQLite database.
A tool to show which IBP beacons are transmitting
The International Beacon Project is a set of 18 amateur (ham) radio transmitters around the world, each of which transmit every 3 minutes on a set of 5 short-wave frequencies. This allows short-wave radio users to quickly assess the current worldwide propagation conditions. Much more information can be found on http://www.ncdxf.org/beacons.html
Fedora includes nec2c, the powerful antenna modeling program, and xnec2c which provides a graphical user interface to nec2c. Both of these packages have been updated to version 1.2 in Fedora 11. The changes are minor bugfixes.
Project site: http://5b4az.chronos.org.uk/pages/nec2.html
1.2.7 -> 1.2.8
New in 1.2.8:
- New models: BC235, BC250, BC780, PRO-2052, BCD396T, BCD996T, K3, FT950
- New pseudo models: netrigctl/netrotctl, backends ala rpcrig/rpcrot, but based on rigctld/rotctld
- New rotator backend: GS232A, PcRotor
- Removed microtune backend
- Fixes: DttSP, IC-275, IC-475, IC-725, IC-735, IC-756PRO, IC-761, IC-775, IC-781, IC-706*, Kenwood TH/TM models, Orion, BC245, BC895, FT-100, FT757GX, FT-857, FT-897, FT-920
- Numerous bindings fixes, esp. for memory channel works
- New commands available in rigctl
- New rotctld to go with rigctld rig daemon. The protocol changed, but there's the compatibility option -e to pass to the daemon for previous protocol.
New in 188.8.131.52:
- New model: miniVNA
- Fixes: FT1000MP, Tentec Orion, Omni VI Plus
- AOR: implemented scanning
- Kenwood models TS2000, TS870S can now get/set antenna. TS2000 gained strength meter calibration.
2.4 -> 2.4.1
This is a bugfix update
Old Version: 1.2 -> New Version: 1.3
Project site: (http://5b4az.chronos.org.uk/pages/morse.html)
Old Version: -> New Version: 1.3
Console application for decoding and saving weather images
wxapt is a console application for decoding and saving weather imagesConsole application for decoding and saving weather images|wxapt is a console application for decoding and saving weather images transmitted in the APT format of NOAA and METEOR satellites.
Project site: ()
Old Version: -> New Version: 1.06
ILink/EchoLink compatible conference bridge
Thebridge is an EchoLink compatible conference bridge that runs under Linux.
EchoLink allows licensed Amateur Radio stations to communicate with one another over the Internet, using voice-over-IP (VoIP) technology.
Project site: ()
Old Version: -> New Version: 0.10
Voice keyer for use in hamradio
Ssbd (Single-Side Band daemon) is voice keyer for hamradio use. It's written as part of Tucnak, contest log for VHF contests, but is possible to use ssbd with any other program.
Project site: ()
Old Version: -> New Version: 0.4
Who's On the Air Database interface
Xwota is intended for amateur radio operators who want to make use of the WOTA database.
It can be used to find out who is on the air, the band and frequency they are operating on, and their location by country, state, county, grid, and latitude/longitude
It's very similar to a DX Cluster client, but it works with the WOTA database and contains more informations.
If you don't known what is the WOTA database, please read some infos at http://www.wotadb.org.
Project site: ()
Old Version: 6.3.2 -> New Version: 6.4
A GPS manager
GPS Manager (GPSMan) is a graphical manager of GPS data that makes possible the preparation, inspection and edition of GPS data in a friendly environment.
GPSMan supports communication and real-time logging with both Garmin and Lowrance receivers and accepts real-time logging information in NMEA 0183 from any GPS receiver.
Project site: (http://www.ncc.up.pt/gpsman/wGPSMan_4.html)
Old Version: -> New Version: 2.0.0
X-Chat Morse plugin
X-Chat plugin for sending and receiving raw morse code over IRC.
Project site: ()