Documentation Beats Hardware Overview
Processor and memory requirements for PPC Architectures
- Minimum CPU: PowerPC G3 / POWER3
- Fedora 23 supports the New World generation of Apple Power Macintosh, shipped from circa 1999 onward. Although Old World machines should work, they require a special bootloader which is not included in the Fedora distribution. Fedora has also been installed and tested on POWER5 and POWER6 machines.
- Fedora 23 supports pSeries and Cell Broadband Engine machines.
- Fedora 23 also supports the Sony PlayStation 3 and Genesi Pegasos II and Efika.
- Fedora 23 includes new hardware support for the P.A. Semiconductor 'Electra' machines.
- Fedora 23 also includes support for Terrasoft Solutions powerstation workstations.
- Recommended for text-mode: 233 MHz G3 or better, 128MiB RAM.
- Recommended for graphical: 400 MHz G3 or better, 256MiB RAM.
Processor and memory requirements for x86 Architectures
The following CPU specifications are stated in terms of Intel processors. Other processors, such as those from AMD, Cyrix, and VIA that are compatible with and equivalent to the following Intel processors, may also be used with Fedora.
Fedora 10 requires an Intel Pentium or better processor, and is optimized for Pentium 4 and later processors.
- Recommended for text-mode: 200 MHz Pentium-class or better
- Recommended for graphical: 400 MHz Pentium II or better
- Minimum RAM for text-mode: 128MiB
- Minimum RAM for graphical: 192MiB
- Recommended RAM for graphical: 256MiB
Processor and memory requirements for x86_64 architectures
- Minimum RAM for text-mode: 256MiB
- Minimum RAM for graphical: 384MiB
- Recommended RAM for graphical: 512MiB
Hard disk space requirements for all architectures
The complete packages can occupy over 9 GB of disk space. Final size is entirely determined by the installing spin and the packages selected during installation. Additional disk space is required during installation to support the installation environment. This additional disk space corresponds to the size of
/Fedora/base/stage2.img (on Installation Disc 1) plus the size of the files in
/var/lib/rpm on the installed system.
In practical terms, additional space requirements may range from as little as 90 MiB for a minimal installation to as much as an additional 175 MiB for a larger installation.
Additional space is also required for any user data, and at least 5% free space should be maintained for proper system operation.