Documentation Desktop Beat
(→SDDM as Display Manager)
(→Plasma-nm Network applet)
|Line 70:||Line 70:|
===Plasma-nm Network applet===
===Plasma-nm Network applet===
Revision as of 21:07, 5 October 2013
Fedora 20 features GNOME 3.10. This latest version of the GNOME desktop will have a number of new applications and features:
- New Feature: Fine grained scrolling when dragging the scroll bar handle, or scrolling while holding the shift key.
- New feature: Support for login and authentication with Smart Cards.
- New feature: Header bars: Header bars merge title bars and toolbars into a single element, giving more screen space to window content and improving presentation of application controls.
- Improved Magnifier with caret tracking, press F7 to activate caret.
- New Feature: Lock screen background customization
- New feature: Geolocation: A new geolocation framework allows features like automatic timezone updates when travelling and location detection in `Maps`.
- New feature: `GNOME Documents` support for OwnCloud
- New feature: Drag and drop files between your computer and a `Boxes` guest. Windows guests will need http://spice-space.org/download/windows/spice-guest-tools/ installed, and linux guests will need an updated version of spice-vdagent.
- New Feature: `Boxes` support for importing filesystem images
- Improved user interface for "Comtacts"
- Improved automatic scaling for high pixel density displays.
- Improved application selection in the shell Overview
- Flikr integration with GNOME Online Accounts allows access to Flikr content in GNOME Photos.
- Improved, integrated system status menu.
- Redesigned `gnome-tweak-tool`, with improved design, extension integration, and expanded functionality.
- New: `gnome-maps`, A simple map application for the GNOME Desktop.
- New: `gnome-music`, a streamlined application for playing and sharing music.
GNOME 3.10 also offers a technical preview of GNOME support for wayland.
A new, visually appealing application for browsing and installing applications.
There is also preliminary support in this release for running GNOME-shell as a Wayland compositor, though Wayland may not be in the default packages for the final Fedora 20 release.
To learn more about GNOME 3.10, check:
- Upstream release notes: https://help.gnome.org/misc/release-notes/3.10/
- New applications: https://help.gnome.org/misc/release-notes/3.10/more-apps.html
- User Experience updates: https://help.gnome.org/misc/release-notes/3.10/more-core-ux.html
- Internationalization notes: https://help.gnome.org/misc/release-notes/3.10/i18n.html
- Sysadmin/Developer Notes: https://help.gnome.org/misc/release-notes/3.10/developers.html
KDE Plasma Workspaces 4.11
KDE Plasma Workspaces 4.11 is a long term release of the popular, full featured desktop environment. Major changes have been made to user experience, personal information management, and performance aspects of the platform.
- Taskbar has been ported to QtQuick , providing more consistent and fluent behavior.
- Battery widget now supports keyboard brightness, and displays status for multiple batteries in peripherals, such as in mice and keyboards.
- Notification popups now have a configure button, allowing customization of the type of notification displayed.
- Kmix, the KDE sound mixer, performs better and more stably, in addition to adding media player controls to the widget
- Improved performance of Kwin, the KDE window manager.
- Improved user interface design in Kwallet.
- Kolourpaint, a simple painting application, now supports the WebP image format.
- PDF viewer Okular adds review tools and undo/redo support for annotations and forms.
- The JuK audio player and tagger adds support for playback and metadata editing of Ogg Opus format files.
- Improved Kontact Suite, including better archiving, scheduled mail sending, simple message filtering interface, better notifications, and scam detection in Kmail.
- Numerous optimizations to Dolphin reduce memory usage by up to 30%.
- Better indexing and various improvements to Nemopuk make searches up to 6x faster, adds indexing for ODF, docx and other document formats, and improves backup and restoration functionality.
- Note: Users upgrading to new versions of Nemopuk should expect their database to be automatically reindexed and upgraded. The conversion will consume more system resources than normal but will only occur on the first login after upgrading.
SDDM as Display Manager
The KDE Desktop environment will use SDDM instead of KDM as the designated display and login manager. SDDM is the successor to KDM, and adds support for QtQuick themes.
Some features may be missing from SDDM, such as XDMCP, VNC, multiseat support, or Keyboard layout switching in the greeter. However, the SDDM development community is very active and regular additions to functionality are expected.
Plasma-nm Network applet
KDE in Fedora 20 includes Plasma-nm, a new applet for network management. It supports user-friendly creation and editing of all connection types from NetworkManager, including bridges, bonds, and VPNs, with a modern and intuitive interface.
In Fedora 20 the MATE desktop Bluetooth applet suffers compatibility issues with Bluez5. Users needing Bluetooth functionality should install the `bluedevil` package