(added GNOME 3.6 content for F18)
m (F18: added bit about avahi MDNS on-by-default)
|Line 1:||Line 1:|
= GNOME =
= GNOME =
Revision as of 00:36, 7 September 2012
- When installing the "Graphical Desktop" software selection, an MDNS client is included. This allows out of the box discovery of devices on the local network. No private information is published via MDNS by default. (See Features/AvahiDefaultOnDesktop)
Fedora 18 includes the newest GNOME release, version 3.6. You will notice these changes:
- More Accessible User Interface: Previous GNOME 3 releases add accessibility features, such as the screen reader and on-screen keyboard. GNOME 3.6 enables these features by default. To use accessibility features, simply choose the "Universal Access" icon from the GNOME Shell. GNOME 3.6 also adds brightness, contrast, and inversion capabilities to Magnifier.
- Better Integration with Distributed ("Cloud-Based") Document Systems: The GNOME Documents application for file management already integrates with "Google Docs." GNOME 3.6 adds support for "Microsoft SkyDrive," for users with a "Windows Live" account.
- Support for "ActiveSync" Accounts: You can use GNOME's "online accounts" feature to connect your desktop with your online accounts. GNOME already includes a connector for Google accounts, and GNOME 3.6 adds a connector for "ActiveSync" (or "Microsoft Exchange") accounts.
- Improved Text Shaping: GNOME 3.6 uses an improved text shaping engine. You will notice higher-quality text rendering and memory savings. The new text shaping engine allows further improvements in future GNOME versions.
- More Efficient Input Source Selection: GNOME 3.6 uses only the "IBus" input method framework. You can choose an input device (like a keyboard) and the key layout, and all GNOME applications will use these settings.
- GNOME-Specific Initial Setup: When you acquire a new computer or install a new operating system, GNOME 3.6 will help you with the following important tasks:
- Connect to a network
- Make a user account
- Set your time zone and location
- Integrate with online accounts
- Learn basic information about GNOME Shell
- Improved Notification System: GNOME 3.0 included a new way for applications to send notifications to users, called Message Tray. GNOME 3.6 enhances the Message Tray to help users remain focused and know whether notifications are urgent. For more information, refer to the GNOME documentation at .
- Easier Printer Management: GNOME 3.6 includes improvements to the "Printer" panel in GNOME Control Center. You can more easily find and configure local and network printers, choose drivers, and set default options.
- More Useful Lock Screen: When you "lock" your desktop or return from the "Sleep" state, the lock screen in GNOME 3.6 offers more information and new abilities:
- See the date and time
- Control music and media players, and adjust the volume level
- View whether you have new message and notifications
- Change basic network connection settings
- Choose how to unlock your desktop
- Integrated Enterprise Login Information: Users connected to large ("enterprise") networks can view and potentially modify user account settings in the GNOME 3.6 Control Center. This feature integrates the Fedora 18 realmd feature so you can view and potentially manage "Active Directory" deployments.
KDE Software Compilation
je ajlwjj ail
l4rjmt qmmq kwqlljew i
jwl aejwilawij !!