This section describes the enhancement in development tools available in Fedora 15.
This new GDB release 7.3 together with Archer and Fedora extensions improves debugging experience on Fedora by making the debugger more powerful. The majority of these features were written by Red Hat engineers, thus benefiting all gdb users. New features for the Fedora 15 release are not limited to:
- Support for breakpoints at SystemTap markers (probes)
- Support for using labels in the program's source
- OpenCL language debugging support
- Thread debugging of core dumps - priting
pthread_tof threads and their TLS variables
- Python scripting improvements not limited to:
- GDB values in Python are now callable if the value represents a function address.
- New module gdb.types for inferior types.
- New module gdb.printing for writing and registering pretty-printers.
More features are listed upstream above the line
*** Changes in GDB 7.2.
Numerous important packages within Fedora are pre-built with SystemTap static markers, and these can now be used as the target for breakpoints in gdb.
Fedora 15 includes OCaml 3.12, a major new release of the OCaml language, the camlp4 macro language, libraries, and CDuce for XML processing.
New language features include:
- modules are now first-class values
- nested module open
- open record notation
- mark OO methods which must be overridden in subclasses
- limited support for delimited overloading in the language
camlp4 and camlp5 macro languages have been revised and extended. The changes are completely backwards compatible. For all details refer to https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/OCaml3.12
The Python 3 stack in Fedora 15 updates from 3.1 to 3.2 (the system Python 2 stack remains at 2.7). Python 3.2 is the latest release of the Python 3 language which comes with hundreds of fixes and tweaks throughout. For all details refer to https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/Python_3.2.
The Ruby on Rails gems in Fedora 15 updates from 2.3.8 to 3.0.3. Rails 3 is a large update to the Ruby on Rails web framework. It brings many new features such as a polished routing API, new activemailer and activerecord APIs, and many more new enhancements. Since its a major version update there are some API incompatibilities between Rails 3 and Rails 2.3.8. For the details refer to https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/Rails_3.0.3.