(shamelessly copied from DaveMalcolm's page at http://live.gnome.org/Eclipse)
What is Eclipse?
Eclipse is an awesome IDE for creating apps, in various languages. It has a GTK+ UI that is much more accesible to regular programmers from a Windows environment than the tools traditionally used by FOSS hackers.
It is currently best for developing apps in Java, but support for C, C++, C# and Python is rapidly catching up.
It was originally a (very) large body of code that IBM open-sourced. There is now a large community of companies and developers using and extending Eclipse.
It has its own Open Source license (the Eclipse Public Library, or EPL).
It is shipped in FedoraCore (>= 4). Plug-ins will be added to Fedora as time permits or as people do the necessary work. ;)
Fedora Eclipse is a community project encompassing everything Eclipse-related in Fedora. We ship the Eclipse SDK, CDT, as well as the PyDev, ChangeLog, and Bugzilla plugins. We are working on making plugin packagin easier, and also on packaging more plugins.
Would you like to help?
Visit our current website . Talk to us on IRC or the fedora-devel-java mailing list. Package a plug-in for Fedora!
Plug-ins We Ship
RPM Specfile Generator -- This plugin makes packaging other plugins really easy.
Mylar/Mylyn -- a task-focused UI for Eclipse with bugzilla integration. (Note: Mylar was renamed to Mylyn for its version 2.0 and beyond but we are not yet shipping a renamed version. This change in package names will happen for Fedora 8.)
EMF -- Eclipse Modelling Framework
Subclipse -- support for working with Subversion repositories
Photran -- Fortran support for Eclipse
CMakeed -- Editor for CMake files
Shelled -- Editor for shell scripts
Plug-ins We'd Like To Ship
- all of it needs DTP and WTP
- could ship a stripped-down version in the meantime
- needs some patches to batik and fop which are being processed in rawhide ATM (2009-02-11)
- Package of lpgjavaruntime
- Fix build with lucene 2 and submit it upstream
- Fix build with java 6 - Preferably there will be stubs for all methods that appear in java 6 interfaces.
- review request: https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=484676
- probably needs some non-Eclipse deps
- needs BIRT
- could go in now
Most of the Fedora "free java" people hang out on #fedora-java on freenode . There are also people on #classpath also on Freenode.
- Introduction to Eclipse on Fedora
- Confessions of an Eclipse convert
- Eclipse for developing Mono applications