The Eee PC has really taken the sub-compact pc market by storm. Although the bundled linux installation is interesting, Fedora is more our style. This page should contain all the needed quirks and notes needed to run Fedora perfectly on the Eee PC.
- 1 News
- 2 Hardware support
- 3 Installing Fedora
- 4 Hints and alternative software
- 2010-05-01 Streamlining instructions for installation for preparations of Fedora 13.
Replace "Yes" boxes with specific module/driver used for better chart.
|Model||Video||Sound||FN keys||Power Mngmnt||Wired||WiFi||Webcam|
Eee PC 90x/1000H/1005HA/1005PEB Series
The XXXp models (like the 1005p) are based on newer Pine Trail platforms. Issues may arise as newer models are released.
Fn Keys (included wireless switch)
- Almost working, the Fn+F2 (wireless switch) doesn't work yet; supported by eeepc_laptop kernel module. May require 'acpi_osi=Linux' to be added to kernel boot parameters for eeepc_laptop module to load.
- Eee PC 901/1000H wireless chip is Ralink RT2860, which is not supported by current kernel (work on support is in progress, see rt2400 project page for more details), but there's an open source driver provided by Ralink. RPMFusion has a kmod package with this driver (kmod-rt2860). Read this for more details on external repositories.
- 1001p/1005p wireless chip is Atheros AR2427 802.11g WiFi supported by ath9k but needs 2.6.32+ kernel.
- Fn Key to disable wireless also disables eth0 [fix: what model?]
Eee PC 1101 Series
The 1101 series has a 11.6" screen and a dual-core 1.33Ghz Atom Z250 processor.
Integrated Intel GMA 500 video chipset
- supported in theory by the package "xorg-x11-drv-psb" in Fusion, but there is no display on my EeePC (cbrace) See this blog entry by Adam Williams for detailed ifo on GMA 500 support in Fedora Intel GMA500 (Poulsbo) on Fedora 11: repository (with working 3D/compiz support)
Fn Keys with issues
- Fn+F3 touchpad: no
- Fn+F4 screen resolution: no
- Fn+F5 brightness down: no
- Fn+F6 brightness up: no
- Fn+F8 external monitor: ?
- Atheros AR9285 wireless chip supported natively by ath5k kernel module. Unfortunately, the WiFi doesn't resume after suspend.
Eee PC 1201 Series
The 1201 series has a 12.1" screen and a dual-core 1.6GHz Atom 330 processor.
Eee PC 1201N
The nVidia ION model.
Integrated nVidia GeForce 9400M video chipset
- supported by nouveau driver, may have problems with suspend
- supported by proprietary nvidia driver
- display-related keys work
- sound-related are not supported by KDE system
- rfkill doesn't work
- touchpad disabler doesn't work.
- not supported by default, no packages in rpmfusion, no drivers in staging tree. This is a Realtek RTL8192SE chip, incompatible with RTL8192E and RTL8192SU drivers already in staging.
- vendor-supplied free drivers may or may not work, depending on your kernel version and system CPU architecture
- you may have luck with a rtl8192se_linux_2.6.0010.1116.2009 driver on 188.8.131.52 or 184.108.40.206 kernel on x86_64 architecture.
Fixes and solutions to common problems
Screen is off after resume from suspend/hibernate (Eee PC 901)
Adding --quirk-dpms-on to pm-suspend/pm-hibernate helps. Adding --store-quirks-as-fdi makes it permanent.
Note: upgrading to BIOS 1603 seems to have removed the need for this quirk.
See bug 468271.
Using USB pendrive (at least 1 GB) take a look at the USB Howto page
Recommended for resource limited netbooks
http://spins.fedoraproject.org/moblin/ [available when Fedora 13 is released]
Hints and alternative software
su -c 'yum install [application name here]'
- @lxde-desktop a lightweight desktop environment that fits perfectly on low performance PCs like netbooks.
- openbox - lightweight window manager
After installation you will need to choose openbox as your new window manager. If you are running gdm click on the session button and choose Gnome/Openbox. If you have an .xinitrc that is run at log in you can add, openbox, openbox-session or openbox-gnome-session to it.
Lightweight Internet Browsers
With a kickstart file you can ease the process of installing Fedora on your Eee PC.
Custom netbook kernels and optimizations http://www.fedora-netbook.com/
- Fedora Eee: http://www.fedora-eee.com