Packaging in EPEL
The packages in EPEL mainly follow the Fedora Packaging Guidelines -- that includes packaging guidelines , the package naming guidelines and the package review guidelines that are designed and maintained by the Packaging Committee .
But there are some exceptions for packages in EPEL, which are listed below.
- Packages in EPEL should never replace packages from the enterprise distribution it was build for
- Packages in EPEL should never knowingly cause trouble in packages of the enterprise distribution that the package is build for
- Software that is in some form part of a enterprise distribution version or one of its spins is not allowed in the EPEL release for that product version
- kernel modules are not allowed in EPEL
Distribution specific exceptions
- RHEL Python packages should manually depend on the proper python version that it was build for. Most old FC-3 python packages should still use this trick.