Fedora 11's artwork process is going to work a little differently than our artwork process has worked in the past. Rather than having multiple theme concepts competing with one another and dividing artists' time and energies, we're going to try having one theme concept (inspired by the release codename) that everyone works together on. We're hoping to produce higher-quality artwork in a more timely manner this way.
- 20 Jan - Alpha freeze
- 01 Feb - Visual concept for F11 decided
- 03 Feb - Alpha release
- 01 Mar - First draft wallpaper ready to package for Beta
- 10 Mar - Beta freeze
- 24 Mar - Beta release
- 02 Apr - splashes / rest of artwork done for packaging for preview release
- 14 Apr - final freeze
- 28 Apr - Preview release
- 26 May - final release GA
Detailed Task Breakdown
We first need to works towards a solid visual concept for the F11 theme. We'll need to have this defined by Februrary 1, which gives only about 3 weeks so we need to move fast.
- A ship in the British Royal Navy <= this is the meaning upon which the selection of the codename was based
- The king of Sparta, an ancient Greek militaristic society, as portrayed in the popular recent movie 300 which has a very distinctive visual style.
- A maker of Belgian chocolates
- many others!
Since the Royal Navy ship definition of Leonidas is the one upon which the codename was based and is themeable, we should go with this one so we have a solid focus and move more quickly.
HMS Leonidas gives an idea for a nautical association/theme.
- Nautical navigation instruments - which can be quite steampunky:
- Brass telescope
- Nautical Charts
- Brass Nautical Clocks
- Nautical compass
- Constellations / Sky Chart
- Components of a Ship
- Port Hole
- Ship's wheel
- Hemp rope
- Communication Flags (hang off mast)
- A Ship's characters
- Navigator guy in the little platform towards the top of the mast
Parts of a Ship
These maps are actually old enough to be public domain! There are many beautiful maps including nautical charts made available here: Norman B. Leventhal Map Center at the BPL Flickr Photo Stream
A nice cross of the nautical and Greek theme ideas.
Inspired by Leonidas of Sparta (as seen in the movie 300 :) )
(to be cleaned up later)
Leonidas of Sparta
Captain's desktop (CharlieBrej)
Trireme morning (CharlieBrej)
Trireme evening (CharlieBrej)
Greek Concept 1; Field is Balkan Highland Pastures by Boby Dimitrov on Flickr, CC-BY-SA; Sky is Sky Scrapers by eschipul on Flickr, CC-BY-SA; Columns are The Temple of Zeus by palindrome6996 on Flickr, CC-BY (Duffy)
Rough sketch of Greek environment using columns, field, mountain, jars and agora Luya