- 1 Dates
- 2 Location
- 3 Hotel
- 4 Alternate Venues for Meeting (not in a hotel)
- 5 Transportation to Event
- 6 Organizers/Event owners
- 7 Pros and Cons of Proposed Location
Proposed: (11+)12+13 November 2011
- Friday: arrival day, FUDpub
- Saturday: Unconference with possible themed track in another room
- Sunday: Half-day hackfests, half-day unconference track (to present hackfest work, etc).
Beijing (北京) is the capital and cultural heart of China. It houses many universities and high profile IT companies of which Red Hat China is one.
Beijing is the second largest city in the People's Republic of China and has a very distinct and easy layout. The city is based around a ring structure which starts with the Forbidden City (or Palace Museum) being the center.
The city allows you to easily move around using public transport, of which the Subway is probably the best way.
At the moment two options are being considered for hosting this event.
Beijing University of Post and Telecommunications
BUPT is a national university specializing in the field of cable communications, wireless communications, computer, and electronic engineering. It is located in Haidian district is easily reachable by public transport (Line 10). This option is considered due to the good relationship with the Red Hat Engineering office in Beijing. Discussions about renting classrooms or other co-operation is being discussed.
Renmin University is one of China's top universities and provides an excellent location for hosting this event due to public transport (Line 10). It lies in Haidian District, Beijing's Silicon Valley. Rent of classroom is possible; discount option available. Booking needs to be done 2 months in advance. This option is currently considered as a secondary/alternative location.
Major Local Airports
Beijing Capital International Airport (Airport Code: PEK) is the major airport servicing Northern China and Beijing.
Transit to/from airport
The airport is easily accessible by public transport, e.g. subway and shuttle bus. Taxi takes about 40-50 mins from airport to the center of the city.
Local Mass Transit
The venue is easily reachable with public transport; several buses go to Renmin University and it is walking distance from Suzhoujie station along Subway Line 10. Also, the Beijing office of Red Hat is easily reachable using line 10.
Many styles of food is on offering. Almost in every street you can find a cheap restaurant which offers all kinds of Chinese food. Using Line 10 you can travel to Tuanjiehu and visit Sanlitun (三里屯). This area is famous as an international bar street and offers a lot of different styles of Western food. Another option which is about 15 minutes away is Wudaokao (五道口), this is also a famous area mostly known among students. There are too many options available to specify here ;-)
A lot of different hotel options are available and are currently under discussion.
Estimated Hotel Costs
Ranging from hostels to hotels. No information available at the moment.
Transit to/from FUDCon
Easy access to the venue is possible by public transport.
Room Capacities and Configuration
Alternate Venues for Meeting (not in a hotel)
The Engineering office at Raycom near Tsinghua University has shown interest to offer their training center for activities. This options is currently under discussion.
This locations is within walking distance from a stop along subway Line 10 and about 10-15 minutes away from the venue by taxi.
Food and Catering
Transportation to Event
Price indication for flight tickets. For international and domestic flights you can fly directly to Beijing (PEK; Beijing Capital Airport). For domestic flights it is also possible to use Tianjin (Tianjin Binhai airport) and take the high speed train to Beijing (this takes about 30-40mins).
Pros and Cons of Proposed Location
- Opportunity to grow Open Source and Fedora presence in Asia; co-operation with Beijing LUG, China Unix, etc.
- Mozilla China has shown interest to participate in a themed track; e.g. web technologies.
- The city provides a lot of possibilities to explore; cultural, architectural, etc.
- Excellent mass/public transport options.
- Lack of English proficiency for certain locations/services. Needed information and help will be provided as much as possible by the event organizers. Solutions have already been discussed, like downloaded flyers and instructions in China which can be handed to taxi drivers or desk personnel.