- 1 Pre-registration
- 2 Event details
- 3 Agenda
- 4 Administration
The 2013 North America FUDCon will be held in Lawrence, Kansas, on January 18–20, 2013.
FUDCon is the Fedora Users and Developers Conference, a major free software event held in various regions around the world, usually annually per region. FUDCon is a combination of sessions, talks, workshops, and hackfests in which contributors work on specific initiatives. Topics include infrastructure, feature development, community building, general management and governance, marketing, testing and QA, packaging, etc.
FUDCon is always free to attend for anyone in the world.
January 18–20, 2013 (Friday, Saturday, Sunday)
We have a block of rooms with two queens and some with only a king. Both types have foldout sofa beds as well. The block is available for the nights of Thursday, Friday, Saturday, and Sunday. Please reserve your room by December 14. Rooms include:
- pull out sofa bed
- mini fridge and microwave
- free wifi
- breakfast buffet
The hotel has an indoor pool, gym, and business center with printing and faxing services available.
Check-in time is 3:00 pm. Check-out time is 12:00 noon. Hotel is non-smoking.
To reserve a room, use these links:
- For the Queen/Queen Suites: http://www.marriott.com/hotels/travel/LWCKS?groupCode=TFPTFPB&app=resvlink&fromDate=1/17/13&toDate=1/21/13
- For the King Suites: http://www.marriott.com/hotels/travel/LWCKS?groupCode=TFPTFPA&app=resvlink&fromDate=1/17/13&toDate=1/21/13
To and from Lawrence via airline
Kansas City International (IATA: MCI) is about a 60-minute drive from Lawrence.
If you are flying to Kansas City to come to FUDCon, please add your name and flight information to the flights page. We will organize car pools through that page.
To and from Lawrence via private plane
Lawrence Municipal Airport (IATA: LWC) is about a 10-minute drive from Lawrence.
To and from Lawrence via train
Amtrak has a Lawrence station (LRC).
To and from Lawrence via car
Lawrence is accessible via exits 202 and 204 on the Kansas Turnpike (Interstate 70).
The Kansas Turnpike is a toll road. The toll from the Topeka entrance to Lawrence exit 202 is USD $1.00. The toll from the Kansas City-side entrance to Lawrence exit 204 is USD $1.60. For more information on the Kansas Turnpike, visit www.ksturnpike.com.
- Appropriately warm clothing — it will possibly snow in Kansas in January
- Laptop with 802.11g wireless
- Extension cord
- Ethernet cable (for hotel and/or hackfest)
- Optional: Bring a Fedora Friend Finder (power strip)
- Credit card (VISA or MasterCard) or small amount of cash
- Your presentation slides or anything needed for the hackfest
If staying at the hotel:
- Optional: swimsuit, gym clothes.
- Friday, January 18: Introductory session, BarCamp sessions, lightning talks, and hotel party
- Saturday, January 19 and Sunday, January 20: Hackfests, FUDPub
Rooms available in Learned hall, all three conference dates: 1131, 1136, 2111, 2112, 2133, 2148, 3150, 3152, 3153, 3154
Technical sessions (Friday)
As with all BarCamp conferences, technical sessions will be presented, voted on and scheduled the morning of the conference. If you like, you may list your session proposal below.
|Session name||Description||User level||Lead|
|Creating FUDCon booklets, or "Ian's raptor-proofing talk"||A quick overview on tips and tricks I've learned in creating information booklets for Tempe, Blacksburg, and Lawrence, and a demonstration of the tools involved and some best practices in desktop publishing.||Intermediate||Ian Weller|
|Creating SECure Linux Containers"||A quick overview on Containers||Intermediate||Dan Walsh|
Lightning talks (Friday)
We'll do lightning talks after lunch on Friday (depending on things). These talks are to be no longer than 5 minutes, at which point we will gong you out. Talk about what you are passionate about, which doesn't have to necessarily be Fedora.
If you're interested, list your proposed talk below. If too many people propose lightning talks we'll randomly select them.
Hackfests (Saturday and Sunday)
|Session name||Description||Time Needed||Lead|
|Ham Radio Test Session||Ham Radio Test Session For Attendees to get/upgrade their Licenses||3 hours||Ben Williams|
|GPG Key Signing Event||Exchanging of GPG key fingerprints and identification to enable people to sign each other's keys||1 hour||Nick Bebout (nb)|
|CAcert Assurance Event||1.5 hours||Nick Bebout (nb)|
- Dempsey's Burger Pub - An Irish-style Pub with excellent beer selection and burgers.
- Johnny's Tavern - Very cool sports bar with lots of room and a rich history.
- The Casbah - Best burgers in town and brews to match.
- Free State Brew-Pub - Quality beer and food. Can reserve our own room for ~20 people too.
- Harbour Lights - Rowdy dive bar.
- Louise's - Rowdy sports bar.
Meetings are currently not being held. We will start holding them again shortly before funding administration.
Other useful pages:
- Most consumer plugs in the USA are Type B.
- This doesn't mean clothing is optional if you swim or exercise!