The Fedora Users and Developers Conference (FUDCon) Panama 2011 will be held on the last weekend in May 2011 at Ciudad del Saber, bringing together Fedora Users and Developers from across Latam America.
The Fedora Project holds several FUDCon events throughout the world every year. Collaboration, communication and community are the keys that make FUDCon work. With so many contributors throughout Latam America and the world, the Fedora Project strives to bring these bright minds together once a year to work together in person at FUDCon Panama 2011.
FUDCon Panama 2011 will consist of three basic sessions; educational, hack-fests and ad-hoc. The point of FUDCon is to allow flexible collaboration while providing useful growth and value to the Fedora Project. By providing some baseline education sessions, users will grow while the hack-fests and ad-hoc sessions are focused on growing the Fedora Project code base and community.
FUDCON Panama 2011 Profile
- Estimated Attendance: 100-350+
- Attendance for FUDCon Tempe 2011 (Jan '11): 200
- Attendance for FUDCon Chile 2010 (Jul '10): 350
- Attendance for FUDCon Toronto 2009 (Dec '09): 220
- Attendance for FUDCon Boston 2009 (Jan '09): 190
FUDCon Panama 2011 attracts contributors, developers and community users who help grow the Fedora Project and its upstream projects. A significant number of participants come to FUDCon from the local community, including students, local enthusiasts, and employees from companies ranging from start-ups to Fortune 500 companies. The event has value for beginners to advanced users, including hobbyists, everyday end-users and of course, skilled developers and system administrators.
FUDCon is the Fedora Users and Developers Conference, a major free-software event held in various regions around the world, usually annually per region. FUDCon combines sessions, talks, workshops, and hack-fests in which contributors work on specific initiatives. Topics include infrastructure, feature development, community building, general management and governance, marketing, testing and QA, packaging, among others.
FUDCon Panama 2011 Venue
FUDCon Panama 2011 will be held at the City of Knoledge campus from May 26-28, 2011. Two days of talks and sessions will be held in the Bussenes Center facility, allowing FUDCon attendees to easily mingle with students in the School of Computing, Informatics, and Decision Systems Engineering. A third day of talks will be held in the City of knowledge, Covention Center, state-of-the-art meeting facility and student gathering facility.
FUDCon Panama 2011 Focus
While part of fudcon is designed to let participants -- from the end-user to the highly technical user -- give talks of their choosing, there are typically a few specific themes selected for the conference. For FUDCon Panama, topics already in the works include:
- Architecture and future of the tools that allow anyone to create remixes of Fedora software and software from other compatible repositories
- Offering basic legal education regarding software development such as intellectual property issues like copyright, patents, and trademarks, and how these issues intersect with free and open source software development
- Provide a technical environment where system administrators can share experiences and get to know new tools and procedures in order to improve their professional skills with Fedora.
- Start to create a culture of Barcamp and Hackfest sessions in Free and Open Source Software events in Latin America.
- Introduce new people to the Fedora project and turn them into long term contributors.