- 1 Announcements
- 1.1 Breaking News of the Week
- 1.1.1 FUDCon APAC 2012 will be in lovely Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia!
- 1.1.2 FUDCon Kuala Lumpur travel subsidy requests are now open
- 1.1.3 Fedora is featuring on GSoC 2012
- 1.1.4 It is time for another episode of: NAME THAT FEDORA RELEASE
- 1.1.5 Outage: fedorapeople.org - 2012-03-26 21:00 UTC
- 1.2 Fedora Development News
- 1.3 Fedora Events
- 1.1 Breaking News of the Week
Contributing Writer: Rashadul Islam
Breaking News of the Week
FUDCon APAC 2012 will be in lovely Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia!
"I'm delighted to announce that the APAC FUDCon for 2012 will be in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.
Thanks to all of those who submitted bids for this FUDCon - I am very happy to see so much interest, and I believe the recent APAC FUDCon in Pune truly helped to show the high interest in having ongoing FUDCons in this region of the world.
Please stay tuned for further announcements clarifying the details of attendance, including dates/times/places, registration, as well as information for those seeking subsidies for attendance.
- Robyn Bergeron rbergero at redhat.com
FUDCon Kuala Lumpur travel subsidy requests are now open
As you may know, there is a planned APAC FUDCon in Kuala Lumpur coming up soon, May 18-20 in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.
If you are planning to attend FUDCon Kuala Lumpur and need a travel subsidy, the ticketing system is currently open for requests. Requests will be accepted through March 27, 2012. Please note that funding requests without a ticket will not be considered. The travel budget is limited, and preference will be given to attendees from the APAC region who are actively contributing to Fedora, and have detailed their participation plans for FUDCon in their subsidy request.
To place a subsidy request, please follow these steps:
1: Pre-register at https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/FUDCon:KualaLumpur_2012#Pre-registration
2: Put an X in the $$$ column
3: Read about the funding request process and place a funding request ticket in the FUDCon-planning ticket tracker here:
Fedora is featuring on GSoC 2012
"I am delighted to announce that the Fedora Project has been accepted for the GSoC 2012 program. This would be the 7th time where the Fedora project represents the program since 2005.
The students' application procedure and other relevant information will be published soon. If you are interested in joining with the Fedora project as a student or a mentor please explore following URLs.
It is time for another episode of: NAME THAT FEDORA RELEASE
"Oh, Beefy Miracle, I have relished your name for months, but as your day for widespread consumption (release day) approaches, it is time for the community to choose the name of Fedora 18. This process begins with *you,* dear readers and contributors, as potential names are accepted for submission over the course of the next week, beginning now, March 20th, and ending March 27th (at 23:59:59 UTC, for those of you who can't mustard up any ideas until the last possible second).
Frankly, I'm expecting an a-bun-dance of suggestions, and not just from people who cannot take my punni-ness any longer. Rules and guidelines for suggestions, as well as the location in which you may make your name suggestions, are on this wiki page:
A quick word on details:
You *must* follow the guidelines at the page listed above for your name to be considered. These guidelines include the following items:
- There must be an "is-a" link between the name "Beefy Miracle" (the name of F17) and your suggested name.
- That link must be different from any previous links between release names.
- Names of living people and well-known trademarks will likely be rejected as well.
Schedule details for release naming are also shown on the F18 naming wiki page.
I know that it may be hard to *top* Beefy Miracle (ahahahaha, get it? As in toppings!) but I do have every bit of faith that many of you have already thought of name suggestions that may or may not be more mature, or more neutral with regards to dietary restrictions. :) I do look forward to seeing your suggested names and recommend, as always, to have fun.
Outage: fedorapeople.org - 2012-03-26 21:00 UTC
"Outage: fedorapeople.org - 2012-03-26 21:00 UTC
There will be an outage starting at 2012-03-26 21:00 UTC, which will last approximately 2 hours.
To convert UTC to your local time, take a look at
or run: date -d '2012-03-26 21:00 UTC'
Reason for outage:
We are moving the main fedorapeople.org host to another site. This site will allow us to provide additional group storage for various groups that need download space, as well as being closer to our backup server to allow for quicker backups.
- Fedora People - http://fedorapeople.org/
- Unaffected Services:
- Ask Fedora - http://ask.fedoraproject.org/
- BFO - http://boot.fedoraproject.org/
- Bodhi - https://admin.fedoraproject.org/updates/
- Buildsystem - http://koji.fedoraproject.org/
- GIT / Source Control
- DNS - ns1.fedoraproject.org, ns2.fedoraproject.org
- Docs - http://docs.fedoraproject.org/
- Email system
- Fedora Account System - https://admin.fedoraproject.org/accounts/
- Fedora Community - https://admin.fedoraproject.org/community/
- Fedora Hosted - https://fedorahosted.org/
- Fedora Insight - https://insight.fedoraproject.org/
- Main Website - http://fedoraproject.org/
- Mirror List - https://mirrors.fedoraproject.org/
- Mirror Manager - https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mirrormanager/
- Package Database - https://admin.fedoraproject.org/pkgdb/
- QA Services
- Secondary Architectures
- Smolt - http://smolts.org/
- Spins - http://spins.fedoraproject.org/
- Start - http://start.fedoraproject.org/
- Torrent - http://torrent.fedoraproject.org/
- Wiki - http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/
- Ticket Link: https://fedorahosted.org/fedora-infrastructure/ticket/3213
Please join #fedora-admin or #fedora-noc on irc.freenode.net or add comments to the ticket for this outage above."
Fedora Development News
The Development Announcement list is intended to be a LOW TRAFFIC announce-only list for Fedora development.
Acceptable Types of Announcements
- Policy or process changes that affect developers.
- Infrastructure changes that affect developers.
- Tools changes that affect developers.
- Schedule changes
- Freeze reminders
Unacceptable Types of Announcements
- Periodic automated reports (violates the INFREQUENT rule)
- Anything else not mentioned above
Please pull latest translation, re-package and push to koji for L10N QA test
"Hi Fedora package maintainers
Could you please pull latest translation for your package, re-package with it and push to koji for L10N QA test by 2-Mar? We will have a live image to be composed for this particular test on 5-Mar. The focus is to test translations availability and accuracy in desktop applications. This test covers all Fedora packages. This is only one chance for translators to check translation quality. It is highly appreciated your help."
- noriko.mizumoto at gmail.com
Bodhi comment emails issue fixed
In the last week or so, there was an issue with bodhi sending emails to update submitters when comments were left on their updates. Note that this issue did not effect bodhi comments (ie, pushed to testing, pushed to stable, being pushed, etc), only comments left by users / autoqa.
This issue has been corrected, so any comments left should now email correctly.
Maintainers may wish to look over their pending updates for any comments they may have missed.
Sorry for the trouble,"
The purpose of event is to build a global Fedora events calendar, and to identify responsible Ambassadors for each event. The event page is laid out by quarter and by region. Please maintain the layout, as it is crucial for budget planning. Events can be added to this page whether or not they have an Ambassador owner. Events without an owner are not eligible for funding, but being listed allows any Ambassador to take ownership of the event and make it eligible for funding. In plain words, Fedora events are the exclusive and source of marketing, learning and meeting all the fellow community people around you. So, please mark your agenda with the following events to consider attending or volunteering near you!
Upcoming Events (December 2011 - May 2012)
- North America (NA)
- Central & South America (LATAM): 
- Europe, Middle East, and Africa (EMEA)
- India, Asia, Australia (India/APJ)
Archive of Past Fedora Events
- Reimbursements -- reimbursement guidelines.
- Budget -- budget for the current quarter (as distributed by FAMSCo).
- Sponsorship -- how decisions are made to subsidize travel by community members.
- Organization -- event organization, budget information, and regional responsibility.
- Event reports -- guidelines and suggestions.
- LinuxEvents -- a collection of calendars of Linux events.