(Imported from MoinMoin)
m (1 revision(s))
Latest revision as of 16:37, 24 May 2008
Re-base Eclipse stack to latest upstream
Re-base Eclipse stack to Europa release. This begins with the Eclipse SDK moving to 3.3 and then updating each of the dependent packages and ensuring they all function properly with 3.3 (they should, barring internal class usage).
- Name: AndrewOverholt
- Targeted release: Fedora 8
- Last updated: 2007-08-28
- Percentage of completion: 100% (SDK 3.3.0 (3.3.1 almost ready but will likely be an F8 update), Mylyn 2.0, GEF 3.3, CDT 4.0.1, etc.)
- Some things will need to be dropped due to large upstream change and their lack of necessity of being in Fedora at the moment
- Otherwise, things are good
- See: https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-devel-java-list/2007-August/msg00005.html
The upstream eclipse.org community releases high quality SDK versions once a year in late June. The latest release in June 2007 is version 3.3. For the second year in a row, the 2007 release of the SDK was part of a combined "release train" that included many other projects -- those dependent on the SDK itself and each other -- releasing simultaneously. 2006's release train was called 'Callisto' and 2007's, Europa. The Eclipse project maintains strict API guidelines so it is unlikely that anything in the 3.x series will fail to work with version 3.3 of the SDK.
Benefit to Fedora
Latest version of a great IDE and development platform.
Requires lots of work to re-base SDK SRPM to latest upstream. Not as much work will be required for projects up the stack, but it will not be trivial.
Run upstream tests -- there are thousands of JUnit tests.
Users will get the advantages of all of the latest editions of the projects. Since upstream only releases the SDK once a year, there are *lots* of bug fixes and enhancements in each major release.
- icu4j 3.6.1 (done)
- 1.5-level VM (already present)
- ant and lots of ant plugins (done)
- lots of jakarta commons stuff (done)
- lucene 1.9 (done)
- junit 3, junit4 (done)
- jetty (building right now -- 2007-08-29 19:20 EDT)
- (others I'm probably forgetting) (all done)
Fall back to 3.2.2 and other Callisto releases.
Users upgrading from 3.2.2 may have to deal with issues in ~/.eclipse but we will attempt to deal with these during the test cycles of F8.