Features are accounted for at two different levels:
- Feature page promotion and distro coordination--see Fedora Feature Process
- Package level (continue reading)
Once the Feature Freeze milestone is reached, all new features for the release should be:
- substantially complete and in a testable state
- enabled by default--if so specified by the feature
In the Fedora development process, all new feature work is completed by Feature Freeze and tested during the test releases: Alpha and Beta.
Some Example Do's and Don't's
After Feature Freeze, Fedora has certain expectations about what will be happening with your feature. These expectations are based on needing to test your feature (package), test how other pieces of the distribution interact with your feature, and test the overall stability, look, and feel of the distribution.
This what we all expect post-Feature Freeze:
- Do: Have something testable
- Do: Have the the feature significantly complete
- Do: submit bugfixes
- Do not: Continue to add new enhancements
- Do not: Enable the feature by default (if not already default at Feature Freeze)
- Do not: Make changes that require other (dependent) software packages to make changes as well
If you believe you have a good reason to break feature freeze. file a ticket with Release Engineering. Breaking freature freeze means making changes other than simple bug fixes.
Please include the following information:
- A description of what you want to change
- Rationale for why the change is important enough to be allowed in after the feature freeze.
- Impact of not accepting the the new package(s) at this point in the schedule.
- Information on what testing you've performed to mitigate risks introduced by replacing the existing package(s)
The Release Engineering team will evaluate your request and provide feedback.
- Approval comes in the form of +1's (meaning Yes or I approve).
- Two +1's (without any negative feedback or -1's) are necessary to build. If there is negative feedback, conversation will ensue and a new vote will be taken.
If your request is denied, your package will not appear in Rawhide until the freeze ends. If you disagree with Release Engineering's decision you may enter an appeal with FESCo. To start the appeals process with FESCo create a ticket with FESCo.