The tool to help non-power users with bug reporting, making it as easy as a few mouse clicks.
- email: email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Targeted release: Releases/11
- Last updated: 2009-02-04
- Percentage of completion: 20%
This feature should help users to detect defects in applications written and to create a bug report with all informations needed by maintainer to fix it. It's heavilly pluginable so, it can be used for any language and bug reporting system (trac, BZ, ...)
Benefit to Fedora
Ease of bug reporting and quick response from maintainers based on info from CrashCatcher should make Fedora more stable and thus more attractive for users.
what has to be done:
- pluginable architecture
- daemon for detecting crashes
- authentication system
- system detecting if binary belongs to our package (PackageKit support)
- add-ons for languages
- plugins for reporters, databases of crashes, specific applications
- GUI and TUI
It shouldn't affect any part of Fedora, it's desing allows to easilly disable or remove this application completelly.
How To Test
- Install CrashCatcher with C/C++ language plugin.
- Run some app. This app has to be written in C or C++.
- kill -s SIGSEGV <pid of app>
- See if CrashCatcher detects it.
- If an application crashes user is notified by trayicon (or message in log) and simple wizard will guide him through bug reporting process. All required information are gathered automatically, bug reporting should be easy even for less experienced users.
None necessary, revert to previous release behaviour :)
There is no simple tool for debugging programs and reporting bugs in Fedora and providing usefull information needed by package maintainer to fix a bug is often time-consuming and sometimes out of the skill range of an ordinary Fedora user. This tool should fill this gap and help users to fill a report with all required information in just a few mouse clicks.