Banshee as default mediaplayer
Using Banshee as our default mediaplayer and cd importing application
- Name: David Nielsen
- email: dnielsen at fedoraproject dot org
- Targeted release: Fedora 11
- Last updated: 2009-02-23
- Percentage of completion: 80%
Providing our users with a better default media player experience along with new desirable features, a more visually pleasing interface and set of effects as well as an actively developed codebase with a large active community attached to it.
Benefit to Fedora
- Automatically migrates existing Rhythmbox databases meaning the user can keep his ratings, podcasts, songs, etc.
- Nice visual effects such as sliding animations, pulsing buttons. All of which provide a slicker interface.
- Provides true syncronization for portable players along with a wide range of supported pieces of hardware
- Active development, along with a feature roadmap and good bughandling
- History of stability
- Integrates cd importing and the mediaplayer
- Provides video library functionality
- Several interesting plugins already available as well as many in development
- Advanced library functions
- No Jamedo or Magnatune integration
- No UPNP/DLNA support
- Adds size to the CD image
All required packages are in Fedora and are actively maintained, upstream is active and has a good track record for handling bugs. The only action on the part of Fedora is changing the default to Banshee.
How To Test
- Need testing import of existing Rhythmbox database to ensure migration
- For upgrades no change should be visible, rhythmbox and sound-juicer will be retained
- For new installs we will provide Banshee and all the nice functionality
None, though it obsoletes the draft Features/RhythmboxDefaultRipper
- None necessary, revert to previous release behaviour.
- All relevant documentation along with screenshots can be found on the project website: http://banshee-project.org/
- Fedora now ships with the Banshee mediaplayer, which we hope you will find provides you with a superior media experience. More information is available on http://banshee-project.org/.
Comments and Discussion
- While this proposal should be judged on it's technical merits primarly it is suggested that upstream Rhythmbox might be facing issues continuing development (http://mail.gnome.org/archives/rhythmbox-devel/2009-February/msg00023.html).