Condor Cloud provides an IaaS cloud implementation using Condor and the Deltacloud API.
- Name: Ian Main
- Email: <email@example.com>
- Targeted release: Fedora 16
- Last updated: 2011-07-11
- Percentage of completion: 90%
Condor Cloud provides an IaaS cloud implementation based on Condor using deltacloud (http://deltacloud.org) as the front end to control the cloud. It supports multiple hosts/nodes, caching of images on each node for quicker startup, and copy on write (COW) image files so the images do not need to be copied per-instance. It uses libvirt/KVM to launch instances on the hosts and is fairly configurable.
Benefit to Fedora
Condor Cloud would give Fedora a relatively easy to setup, robust cloud IaaS solution.
The cloud itself is all up and running. The deltacloud driver would have to be merged with upstream codebase. We will also need to create a package for the configuration and scripts needed to set up condor as the backend to deltacloud.
How To Test
- You will need a bare metal machine, not a VM to run it on.
- You will need to install the (yet to be made) condor-cloud rpm. This will bring in deltacloud and condor packages as well.
- You will need to configure condor to use the installed configuration and scripts.
- You may wish to add other nodes/machines to the cluster which will require further configuration.
- You will have to place an image to be started in the configured location.
- Start deltacloud server specifying you want to use the condor driver.
- Point your browser to your local deltacloud REST API, or use software targeting that API, Aeolus etc.
This cloud could be used directly by end users via the Deltacloud API. It can also be used as a backend for Aeolus, although there is some testing/integration work to be done on the Aeolus side.
- condor RPM
- deltacloud RPM
- condor-cloud RPM (yet to be made).
Mostly we depend on getting the deltacloud driver upstream and a new package made. I have posted the git repo location to the list and am awaiting review for acceptance. I have talked to David Lutterkort and it sounds like it will not be a problem.
None necessary, revert to previous release behaviour.
An in-progress design document:
- Condor Cloud is an IaaS cloud implementation built behind deltacloud (http://deltacloud.org).