DNF, a new Package Manager
A preview of the next-generation Yum package manager, using hawkey/libsolv for backend.
- Name: Aleš Kozumplík
- Email: email@example.com
- Targeted release: Fedora 18
- Last updated: 2012-05-31
- Percentage of completion: 40%
Comparing to zif
People are asking why we didn't choose to adopt zif instead of fixing yum. The reasons are:
- dnf looks for a middle ground between a sane API and some backwards compatibility.
- dnf and hawkey are first steps toward using the same resolver accross the entire stack.
- Libsolv is a well tested and proven code base, currently the most sophisticated and optimized dependency solving implementation.