Feature: D Programming
Add a D compiler (LDC) and D standard runtime library (Tango)
- Targeted release: Fedora 14
- Last updated: 2010-06-17
- Percentage of completion: 80%
D is a systems programming language. Its focus is on combining the power and high performance of C and C++ with the programmer productivity of modern languages like Ruby and Python. The D language is statically typed and compiles directly to machine code. It's multiparadigm, supporting many programming styles: imperative, object oriented, and metaprogramming. It's a member of the C syntax family, and its appearance is very similar to that of C++.
- There are currently four implementations:
- Digital Mars dmd for Windows 1.0 2.0, x86 Linux 1.0 2.0, Mac OS X 1.0 2.0, and x86 FreeBSD 1.0
- LLVM D Compiler ldc for D version 1.
- Gnu D compiler gdc.
- D.NET compiler alpha for .NET for D version 2.
- LLVM D Compiler
LDC is a compiler for the D programming Language. It is based on the latest DMD frontend and uses LLVM as backend. LLVM provides a fast and modern backend for high quality code generation.
- The Library
Tango is a cross-platform open-source software library, written in the D programming language for D programmers. It is structured as a cohesive and comprehensive library for general purpose usage, and is supported by a growing number of recognized D enthusiasts. Availability of solid and extensive documentation represents a prime factor in library accessibility, and thus this project is as much about documentation production as it is about top-notch functionality.
Benefit to Fedora
Fedora will take some benefit to increase its community of developers with the inclusion of this feature. And an easy way for people who want to try this language.
Required steps are:
- LDC package
- Tango package
- Guideline for package D application
How To Test
- Ensure that example gived by tango works
- Collect feedback from volunteers regarding their experience with D programming
- Currently LDC / Tango works on x86 x86_64 search volunteers for other platfom
- beta src.rpm here: 
None necessary. We should fix existing packages in order to help the Community. We should also monitor upstream development process for potentially discovered issues and proactively apply patches.
The D programming language is available in Fedora 14. D is a modern language with high performance near C/C++ with an easy syntax. C/C++ and Java developers can easily migrate to D.