Re-base to Eclipse 3.4 (Ganymede).
- Name: Andrew Overholt
- Targeted release: Fedora 10
- Last updated: 2008-07-14
- Percentage of completion: 40%
Benefit to Fedora
The latest bells and whistles :)
- Upgrade/introduce dependencies (see below)
- use p2
- decide (with other distros and in consultation with upstream) about dropins location
- update pdebuild.sh to generate p2 metadata
- ensure our metadata is properly read by p2 if we're going to use the dropins approach for additional plugins
- ensure our arch-specific/arch-independent split still works
- ensure we have all dependent packages updated and OSGi-ified a la Orbit
- ensure secondary arches can still build and run
Automated upstream tests, daily usage, 3rd party plugin installation
The user should see a seamless upgrade from `eclipse-*-3.3.2` to `eclipse-*-3.4.0`. Unfortunately, 3rd party plugins users have installed (into `~/.eclipse`) will probably no longer work without re-installation (see Eclipse.org bug 223434.
- `sat4j` (Review Request)
- OSGi-ifying: `objectweb-asm` (probably with a sub-package, `objectweb-asm-eclipse` or something)
- get a mega-asm bundle from the multiple JARs we have in Fedora now
- the rest of the dependencies from Eclipse 3.3 except Tomcat
These are all the JARs in the source drop. The source ones will be generated by the build so ignore those.
|JAR filename||Containing package||More info|
|org.apache.ant_1.7.0.v200803061910/lib/*||ant||I think we're good here.|
|org.apache.commons.el_1.0.0.v200806031608.jar||jakarta-commons-el||Build awaiting ACL approval.|
|org.apache.jasper_5.5.17.v200806031609.jar||tomcat5-jasper-eclipse||We have 5.5.26 but upstream ships against 5.5.17. We may need to see if anything has a hard version requirement on 5.5.17. Patch application and build pending maintainer approval.|
|org.apache.lucene.analysis_1.9.1.v20080530-1600.jar||lucene||Ensure 2.3.x we have in Fedora still works. Build awaiting ACL approval.|
|org.apache.lucene_1.9.1.v20080530-1600.jar||lucene||Ensure 2.3.x we have in Fedora still works. Build awaiting ACL approval.|
|org.eclipse.ecf.filetransfer_2.0.0.v20080611-1715.jar||For now, build as part of SDK build. In the future, we can have an eclipse-ecf package which builds and owns these files. Parts of ECF other than the filetransfer stuff (which is all the SDK uses) have dependencies on things we don't have in Fedora (Smack version 2 -- upstream is porting to 3.x; ch.ethz.iks.r_osgi.remote; ch.ethz.iks.slp).|
|org.eclipse.osgi/osgi/osgi.cmpn.jar||internal to Eclipse||Ensure unnecessary for build.|
|org.eclipse.osgi/osgi/osgi.core.jar||internal to Eclipse||Ensure unnecessary for build.|
|org.eclipse.osgi/supplement/osgi/osgi.jar||internal to Eclipse||Ensure unnecessary for build.|
|org.eclipse.swt.tools/swttools.jar||internal to Eclipse||Ensure unnecessary for build.|
|org.eclipse.swt.win32.win32.x86/swt.jar||internal to Eclipse||Ensure unnecessary for build.|
|org.eclipse.swt/extra_jars/exceptions.jar||internal to Eclipse||Ensure unnecessary for build.|
|org.junit4/junit.jar||junit4||No work needed.|
|org.junit_3.8.2.v20080602-1318/junit.jar||junit||No work needed.|
|org.objectweb.asm_3.1.0.v200803061910.jar||objectweb-asm||Need to get monolithic OSGi-ified JAR OR patch pde.api to use the multiple jars (and will have to add OSGi MANIFEST.MFs to them). The vast majority of the imports are included in asm-3.1.jar but two are in asm-tree-3.1.jar and one is in asm-util-3.1.jar. See this file for more details. Update 2008-07-07: Alexander Kurtakov has done the work to OSGi-ify asm-all.jar (which wasn't in Fedora). I will build this as soon as I get ACL approval.|
Stick with Eclipse 3.3.2.
We may need a release note if we don't get user-installed plugins working.