Integration of further educational applications in Fedora and release of an educational spin. Current goal: Fedora EDU Math Spin
- Name: SebastianDziallas
- Targeted release: Fedora 10
- Last updated: 2008-07-11
- Percentage of completion: 30%
The major goal right now is the Fedora EDU Math Spin, which should be released with Fedora 10. It includes a KDE 4.1 desktop environment and various applications for mathematical and educational purposes.
Please see also:
- the wiki page of the Education SIG
Benefit to Fedora
This effort helps to increase Fedora's visibility in the educational sector (among the already existing ones like K12LTSP & OLPC). We are going to release a spin, which allows students, as well as educators and teachers to use the advantages of open source software not only in classrooms or at work, but also at home.
The requirements for achieving this goal are fairly small. Please see also the Education SIG Roadmap for further information. The required packages are already in Fedora, so it's mainly a question of drawing up the spin and getting it approved.
1. build spin based on Rawhide (take care of its size!) 2. test, whether it boots and all applications are accesible
Have a functional, working spin ready, which allows the user to use the various educational applications.
- for Fedora EDU Math Spin: all packages already in Fedora
- release a first preview using generic-logos once rawhide gets more reliable
- in the meantime, gather further feedback from users and...
- ...get the spin approved (Spin SIG, FESCo, Rel-Eng,...)
- release the final spin with Fedora 10
Not necessarily needed or required, but some guidance for the user - which software does what - would desirable.
nothing here. for now.