Work is in progress to write a feature request for FEL
Fedora Electronic Lab
Fedora Electronic Lab is Fedora's high-end hardware design and simulation platform. This platform provides different hardware design flows based on the semiconductor industry's current trend. FEL maps in new design, simulation and verification methodologies with opensource EDA software.
This page is a feature request to FESCo with respect to the work done behind the Fedora Electronic Lab.
Below are terms used in this page which has other meanings in a normal opensource software community. These definitions are to prevent any misunderstandings from any side.
- EDA Software : a design or simulation tool that can be compiled into a RPM package
- Package : Mechanical body that envelops a chip
- Name: Chitlesh Goorah
- email: < chitlesh [AT] fedoraproject DOT org>
- Targeted release: Fedora 30
- Last updated: 1 March 2009
- Percentage of completion: 70%
- The precise percentage of completion is listed on this gantt diagram
Below entails the highlights of the major development item :
- Perl modules to extend vhdl and verilog support. These perl modules together with rawhide's gtkwave improves chip testing support.
- Introduction of Verilog-AMS modeling into ngspice
- Improved VHDL debugging support with gcov.
- Improved support for re-usable HDL packages as IP core
- Improved PLI support on both iverilog and ghdl
- Introduction of C-based methodologies for HDL testbenches and models.
- Improved co-simulation based hardware design.
- Introduction of design tools for DSP design flow
- LiveDVD: inclusion of trac/git/svn and eclipse-cdt
Benefit to Fedora
Fedora benefits from FEL in various ways as FEL extends Fedora's commitments in the hardware design community.
The Fedora Project during the last 3 Fedora releases has established its roots deep into the opensource EDA community as a robust and successful opensource EDA provider. With this fourth FEL release, Fedora Electronic Lab userbase is now
- Analo/Digital/Mixed Signal hardware designers (even Test engineers)
- project coordinators
- New opensource EDA developers
- field application engineers (who have never heard of FEL)
- ...(but not software geeks)
FEL brings something unique that is missing in the opensource software community : a community that helps to foster EDA software development and support opensource EDA community.
Thereby, FEL is not a --package-only-EDA-tools-- community, but has a clear goal to strengthen the opensource EDA community, in terms of marketing, methodologies, design flows,..
FEL is leader and expert in the opensource EDA community. Unlike other similar projects, FEL is an EDA solutions provider rather than random EDA software provider. FEL's solutions include design tools that fit into hardware design methodologies and meet interoperability between other design tools in the design flow. Hardware designers are required to provide those solutions as they truly understand the needs and Fedora has these experts.
How To Test
There is no need for backup plan as the work done behind FEL-11 is only to improve hardware design experience and expand FEL targeted userbase to Test & Verification Engineers.
Comments and Discussion