Support Moblin within Fedora
Add support to Fedora for the Moblin Core NetBook/NetTop/MID desktop environment.
- Name: PeterRobinson
- Targeted release: Fedora 12
- Last updated: 30 September 2009
- Percentage of completion: 100%
- All core packages for the GUI interface are now in rawhide. The moblin interface is in a usable state for testers.
Two issues with recent dependency bumps:
- NetworkManager: issues with network-manager-netbook and NM 0.8. There is a patch in the works which should be testable within a week or so.
- Mutter-moblin doesn't work with the newer mutter []
The Moblin Architecture is designed to support multiple platforms and usage models ranging from Netbooks and NetTops to Mobile Internet Devices (MID) and various embedded usage models, such as In Vehicle Infotainment systems. The central piece of the architecture is the common layer called "Moblin Core". Moblin Core is built on the GNOME Mobile platform, extending and enriching it with new technologies like Clutter, GUPnP and mojito. The Moblin Core is the core desktop environment that sits of top of Fedora, and above the Moblin Core are the specific user interface and user interaction model for the target device(s).
Benefit to Fedora
The current release of Fedora GUI environments aren't optimised for the small screen environments of NetBook and MID devices. This will allow for a desktop environment that is optimised for these newer small, cheap devices that are becoming popular.
There are a number of stages in the scope for this feature. For Fedora 12 the aim is to have the Core Moblin desktop available for user testing. Features like the Moblin Browser will not be available as they are still under going development and various changes are yet to be pushed upstream (eg xulrunner). The main steps for Fedora 12 are:
- Submit all core packages to Fedora for review and build. Complete. 20 moblin packages have been reviewed and are currently in rawhide. This includes the Moblin Core packages.
- Add anaconda install options so it can be selected as an option during install or be installed using 'yum groupinstall "Moblin Desktop"'
- Test the new desktop environment to ensure it works and integrates properly with underlying technologies like NetworkManager, clutter, gupnp, gstreamer etc.
- Test the desktop environment on NetBook hardware.
- Add applications to extend the basic desktop functionality. Ongoing. A number of packages are already in rawhide (eg anjal email client). There are 11 remain packages that are either in process of being reviewed or are awaiting review request.
- Build and test individual packages
- Test 'yum groupinstall "Moblin Desktop Environment"' to ensure we get a working Moblin Core desktop
- Testing of the core Moblin Desktop environment
- Testing of Moblin application functionality.
- Users of the Fedora Moblin Spin would have a much better user experience on their NetBook, NetTop and other small devices.
- Do not support Moblin in Fedora -- no change from F11. The packages will still be available so the features might be present for testing but there's no supported Fedora Moblin Spin for download.
A preview of the Core Moblin 2 desktop environment for NetBook/NetTop/MID devices is available for testing in Fedora.