Font Configuration Tool
This feature is to provide a tool for customizing fonts on the the GNOME Desktop. The user requirements of desktop fonts are diverse, no single configuration can satisfy all user requirements.
- Targeted release: Fedora 17
- Last updated: 2012-01-19
- Percentage of completion: 40%
- Preferred Fonts on Desktop.
- User may specify the preferred fonts for sans/serif/monospace/fantasy/cursive.
Benefit to Fedora
This will make the Fedora desktop more convenient to use. Many users want to customize the desktop fonts, but lack the knowledge to do so, they will copy others' ~/.fonts.conf to his own home directory. With this tools, the users can customize fonts on their need, without need to learn how to write fontconfig conf files.
- Customize the sans/serif/monospace/fantasy/cursive fonts.
- Create the UI, including scrollwindow, combobox and button (done)
- Create a pop-up window to display all the languages and let user choose the language (done)
- Display fonts list in combobox (done)
- In Fedora 17 remain tasks:
- Generate fonts configuration file base on chosen language and fonts using libeasyfc
How To Test
- Install fonts-tweak-tool and libeasyfc
- Try to set prefer fonts by using fonts-tweak-tool
- Check the $HOME/.config/i18n for fonts setting
- With fonts-tweak-tool, user can easily set their prefer fonts for sans/serif/monospace/fantasy/cursive
- Depend on libeasyfc.
fonts-tweak-tool with libeasyfc backend provides a more easy way to customize fonts for user's desktop.