GNUstep development environment for Fedora
- Name: Jochen Schmitt
- email: Jochen@herr-schmitt.de
- Targeted release: Fedora 14
- Last updated: 2009-09-27
- Percentage of completion: 70%
TODO: Reviewing the following packages:
GNUstep is a GNU project to implement a Openstep/Nextstep-like environemnt on normal unix/linux systems.
- Download the gnu-example package.
- build the gnu-example package on a local machine
- Install it and try to start any application offer by this package.
Benefit to Fedora
Providing the GNUstep environment for Fedora which is available on other linux distributation like Debien or Gentoo Linux.
This is a entirely new feature which has no impact for other packages. Only the gnustep-make package, which is part of this feature was updated to the most recent release.
How to Test
- Try out to build and running the gnustep-example package on Fedora.
GNUstep needs the objective C environemnt which is provided by the gcc.
Not required. It can be introduced after the release of a distribution without any impact for the user. Is only an enhancement.
- Please see http://www.gnustep.org
There is a package called libFoundation which privides the same functionality as gnustep-base. Because libFoundation is not required by any Fedora package and this package doesn't provides unicode support, I suggest to remove this package from Fedora. Third party package are encaurage to migrate to gnustep-base. (Please refer to #531899)
This Feature offer the possibility to create GNUstep application on Fedora. GNUstep is the open source version of Nextstep. An other successor of Nextstep is Cocoa, which ist the API to create GUI application on mac OS X.