Include GNOME 3
- Desktop SIG
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Targeted release: Fedora 28
- Last updated: 2010-05-28
- Percentage of completion: 7%
dconf, gnome-icon-theme-symbolic, gtk3 and yelp-xsl are in rawhide.
GNOME 3 is the next major version of the GNOME desktop. After many years of a largely unchanged GNOME 2.x experience, GNOME 3 brings a fresh look and feel with gnome-shell. There are also many changes under the surfaces, like the move from CORBA-based technologies such as GConf, Bonobo, at-spi to dbus-based successors.
Benefit to Fedora
Fedora stays in sync with upstream, and gains a new user experience.
- Package new components
- Build packages which provide gtk modules for gtk2 and gtk3:
- Switch to the dbus-based accessibility stack
- Implement data migration for applications that are ported from GConf2 to dconf
- done for evince
- done for gedit
- Implement fallback from the shell to 'classical GNOME' for unsupported hardware
How To Test
The user experience (on supported hardware) will be defined by gnome-shell.
- gnome-shell uses clutter, which relies on 3D hardware and drivers. In F13, the shell is known to work ok with Intel and ATI graphics, and work somewhat with the nouveau driver for NVidia graphics. For F14, we want the shell to work well with all three of
- Any packages that install modules for gtk2 (such as image loaders, input methods or theme engines) need to do extra work to make their functionality available to gtk3 too
If gnome-shell is not complete or stable enough, keep it experimental and stay with 'classical GNOME' as the default. Users will still be able to try the shell manually, just like in F12 and F13.
If the dbus-based accessibility stack is not sufficiently functional, we switch back to the CORBA-based stack.
Applications can be ported from GConf to dconf and from gtk2 to gtk3 one-by-one, so if the porting work is not complete (and it is very unlikely that it will be), we can just ship with some applications using the new technology, while others still use the old one.