Update GNOME 3 to the latest upstream release
- Name: Desktop SIG
- Email: email@example.com
- Targeted release: Fedora 16
- Last updated: 6-23-2011
- Percentage of completion: 0%
After the major update in Fedora 15, the GNOME desktop returns to its usual model of evolutionary refinements:
- System Settings will gain an "Online Accounts" panel, which provides a central point for managing online accounts like Google, Facebook etc.
- Contacts is a new contact management application integrating with Empathy, Evolution and the new "Online Accounts" settings panel
- Documents is a new document management application, which provides a simpler alternative to traditional file management for both local and "in-cloud" documents
- Quick File Previews provide a way to quickly view different kind of files in Nautilus or Documents
- More components will be updated to integrate better with GNOME Shell:
- The Login Screen will receive a visual overhaul to match the overall desktop theme
- NetworkManager and gnome-keyring will use GNOME Shell's system dialogs for authentification
- IBus will be fully integrated into the top bar
- Integrated color management
- Application will be able to expose actions in the application menu of the shell's top bar
- GNOME Shell gains an integrated On-screen keyboard, both for accessibility and keyboard-less devices (tablets)
Benefit to Fedora
Fedora stays in sync with upstream.
- Keep existing Gnome packages updated.
- Package gnome-contacts
- Package gnome-documents
How To Test
The integration of Online Accounts/Documents should bring the user experience of the desktop closer to the web. Ongoing integration with GNOME Shell increases the general polish of the desktop.
Depends on upstream Gnome, see the Gnome 3.2 schedule
If Gnome 3.2 does not happen in time for Fedora 16, ship a prerelease like 3.1.92.
Fedora 16 includes the latest version of the GNOME 3 desktop, 3.2. For more information about what is new in Gnome, see the Gnome 3.2 release notes.