Update GNOME to the latest upstream release
- Name: Matthias Clasen
- Email: email@example.com
- Targeted release: Fedora 17
- Last updated: 2011-12-13
- Percentage of completion: 33%
Most GNOME modules have been updated to 3.3.3 versions in rawhide. Many of the new packages are under review, some have been added to rawhide.
GNOME 3.4 refines the GNOME 3 user experience in a number of areas, from improved search in the shell overview, to theme improvements, to application menus. In the control-center, the network and user panels will see major work, and Wacom tablet support will be improved. The application that have been introduced in 3.2, gnome-contacts and gnome-documents, will gain more features (e.g. collections in gnome-documents). A new application, gnome-boxes, will provide easy access to VMs.
For detailed descriptions and designs of the features that are being worked on for GNOME 3.4, see the [feature list].
Benefit to Fedora
Fedora stays in sync with upstream.
- Keep existing GNOME packages updated
- Package newly independent submodules of gnome-utils
- Package new applications and new dependencies of existing GNOME packages
How To Test
Generic 'desktop testing' is always appropriate for a major new desktop version.
Specific testing for new features: TBD
Overall experience should be largely unchanged from F16. Noticeable changes in the details:
- Applications can have an app menu containing more than just 'Quit'. We expect at least some of the new apps (gnome-documents, gnome-contacts, gnome-boxes) to make use of this
- Maximized windows can gain more screen real estate by hiding their title bar. We expect some of the new apps to use this option
- Unfocused windows will have an 'attenuated' appearance
- Features/Gnome_shell_software_rendering will be nice to have to get the GNOME 3 user experience on more platforms, but not a hard requirement
- If GNOME 3.4 does not happen in time for Fedora 17, ship a release candidate like 3.3.92
- Upstream will also look at dropping individual features if they are not ready in time
- GNOME 3.4 [planned features]
- GNOME 3.4 [schedule]
- GNOME 3.4 [release notes] (will appear at a later point)
- Fedora 17 includes the latest version of the GNOME desktop, 3.4. For more information about what is new in this GNOME release, see the [release notes].