Enhanced version of Liberation fonts having more script coverage, better license and improved hinting.
- Name: Pravin Satpute
- Email: email@example.com
- Targeted release: Fedora 18
- Last updated: 2012-07-18
- Percentage of completion: 50%
Liberation fonts is one of the important font in Fedora distribution.
- Provides metric compatibility with Arial, Times New Roman, and Courier New fonts of Microsoft Windows platform.
- Default fonts in Libre Office.
- Existing License of liberation fonts is complex.
- Over the last couple of years we have requested RFE's to increase coverage of Liberation fonts to support more scripts.
- "RFE: Add Greek Polytonic support to Liberation fonts" #473842
- "Serbian glyphs for Wikipedia" #657849
- We are noticing some tricky Hinting issues. #591554, #591556, #606217 #768067, #768067
- Upstream latest release 2.00.0 based on google croscore fonts resolves all these issues.
Benefit to Fedora
- Liberation fonts-2.00.0 is as per Fedora project recommended OFL license.
- Provide more character covarage.
- Latest Version - Older Version
- 2302 (sans) - 667
- 2274 (mono) - 666
- 2303 (serif) - 662
With this we can resolved RFE for Greek Polytonic support.
- Improved hinting.
- Upstream release based on croscore fonts.
- Package liberation-narrow-sans as a different package in Fedora. Since licensing issues still not fixed for Liberation Sans Narrow
- Build latest liberation fonts 2.00.0 for Rawhide
- Testing and bugfixing
How To Test
- Install liberation fonts 2.00.0 version
- Observe differences from earlier version.
- Check rendering of your test in Libre Office.
- Improved character coverage.
- Better hinting effect.
1. Feature owner is leading upstream Liberation fonts project.
- Need to see first testing reports from users after packaging latest version in Fedora rawhide/18.
- If users reporting major problems for against improved version. We can roll back to older version of Liberation fonts. 1.07.2
- Improved version of Liberation fonts providing more coverage and better hinting.